Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have a Gecko Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingOfTheRoad, Jul 7, 2005.

1. KingOfTheRoad

KingOfTheRoad Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2005
    Hangtown, CA
    Hey,

I'm thinking of putting togeter a Warmouth Gecko 5 stringer. Anyone have any experience / suggestions on this.

I'm going for the "small" 5 string style.

Cheers, RoadKing

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've got a couple of them. One fretted and one fretless. I've been very please with how mine turned out. They are expensive to build though (approx. $1100 - $1300 depending on how you configure them) and I wouldn't recommend building one if you don't plan on keeping it. The resale isn't very good at all. I chose the Medium 5 string neck for both of mine to increase the string spacing slightly. You can get the details on both of them at the Warmoth Gecko Gallery.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I built one a few years ago and I was very pleased with it. I'm thinking of building myself another.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kkaarrll likes this.
  4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    You can pay a little more now and have them leave off the Gecko too if you want.

5. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    what's involved in building one? if i buy everything finished?

6. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I love my 5 string gecko. the parts are 2nd to none.
    here's a pic or 2...It now has Barts and an Aggy pre-amp. I had bought it used, ripped it apart, then put it back together.

Attached Files:

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

is that the " Barney " bass ?

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I don't think it is. On the Barney Bass, you could see the dowels that filled the old knob holes.

9. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Not quite sure what you are talking about, I can tell you though that nothing has been touched up as far as dowels or whatever the previous post mentioned.

I have another also, should take a pic or 2.

10. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    How does a Gecko compare to something like an Alembic Epic or something? Those can be had used for around or less than a new Gecko.

11. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I bought a used Gecko and it is absolutely awesome .
    You should keep in mind the cost of having it put together by a pro , unless you are capable .
    Warmoth has a " thrift shop " on their website ( www.warmoth.com ) . They call it their Showcase . They have in stock bodies and necks . Very high quality stuff .
    Filakovsky , have I seen your Gecko on Ebay ?
    The color in beatiful .

12. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I did get it on the bay.