1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone have a Hartke 3500a?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErebusBass, Feb 25, 2008.

1. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Shopping for amps, looking at a bunch of different options. I had an old hartke 2500 transient attack fall into my lap for free and i loved the tone, but it finally died. Does anyone have a hartke 3500a, and love it? hate it?

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Have it.... love it.

3. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    It's REAL good amp, with a lot of girth and muscle down low, and surpisingly louder than you'd think. If you loved the 2500 you'll adore the 3500a.

4. I have it too and you won't hear me say a bad thing about it.
    Everybody who hears this amp, is impressed by it.
    Love it

5. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    I have one myself and I love it, very versatile tone, though the inbuilt compressor isn't up to much. Its the best you can get for the money, though, obviously, if you can spend more, you can get better.

6. If you pick up the 3500a, let me know. It is on my short list of heads. Also on it is

GK Backline 600
    Behringer 4500
    Ampeg B1R

I am going to run it into a Hartke Cab with a Carvin 15" 8 ohm speaker. At first... another 8 ohmcab will get added later. Maybe a 2 x 12. I like the idea of bigger cones... but I know that 4 x 10 may be better. I am in the "research" phase.

If anyone has any suggestions, or experiance, with amps under $500 let me know.

Bummer

7. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I have a line on a 2000 on the cheap but it's having popping and crackling issues right now. I've cleaned all the inputs, sliders, pots, etc but it's still there. Anyone have this type of Hartke issue and solved it?

The amp itself sounds pretty good bar the pop/crackles.

SF

8. lovemybasses

lovemybasses

Mar 4, 2007
    If anyone have Hartke 3500A..well, theres a LOT of us,trust me! and very few has anything bad to say about it. very decent head - loud, punchy, with tube/solid st preamp and lovely EQ - just great!!!
    agree about unusable compressor unit but why would you need it? (try with outboard compressor unit or pedal if you like it!!!)

9. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Isn't the 3500a just the old 3500 with a case built in now? If that's the case then the 3500 is a great head. I've been playing one for 10 years and couldn't be happier. They are very versitile, and I actually find the compression to work very well on mine (probably depends on settings, bass, all that stuff though). I've heard some snobs complain about the EQ's on them, but again I've had good luck tweaking mine with each new band/genre change.

10. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I dont have one, but a good friend of mine does and he swears by it, he actually bought a second one not long ago just in case they stop making them, so he will always have a spare. That must be love spending the extra like that, since he's never had any problems with the first one. I played through it quite a bit, and its a REALLY nice amp.
    To the poster who mentioned the behringer, please let me save you some trouble and knock that off your list. Its not a BAD amp for the money, but its not that great, I had one, and although it was loud and dependable, it was lacking in the tone department, I was CONSTANTLY messing with it trying to get the tones I wanted and couldnt'. Brought my bass over to my friends house, plugged into the hartke and took literally 5 minutes to find the tone. Did this on several occasions for several different kinds of music. The 4500 was also VERY lacking on the bottom end.

11. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Yeah i'm not looking at behringer... About a year ago i spend $500 on a behringer BX4410A (4x10 combo amp), and within a month two of the four speakers had blown, and there's no way it was my fault, i never turned it up above four... And forget about customer service, i called them every single day for about two months and only once did i actually speak to an actual person, the receptionist, who informed me that both customer service people were out of the office. That's right, behringer only has two customer service people in the US. If ANYONE is thinking about buying behringer i hope they read this, and don't make the same mistake i do. That's why i need a head so bad, i'm currently running my speakers through the head on the combo amp, and it's not like i can take it anywhere the thing weighs 135 lbs.