Anyone have a Jerzy Drozd bass/comments?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Franklin229, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I have always admired these but have never had a chance to really play one for extended periods of time. Anyone out there have one or have good experience with these? I'm very curious. Any info appreciated.
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    RAM, I enjoyed the review you wrote on your bass. It sure is a beauty. Do you play it on a lot of gigs? What styles of music does it's tone work best on?

Thanks, Art
  4. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I place order for Prodigy LE 6 strings to Jerzy ,
    what do you think ?
  5. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Me thinks you've got too much GAS ;)

Argh... I'm just jealous :D
  6. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Thanks for the link to your review. I am still pondering-did you ever play a Warwick NT Thumb Bass? If so, how does it compare to the Drozd? I currently use two Thumb 5's, fretted/fretless and was thinking of moving to a 6 string fretless.
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I used to love the Warwick Thumb...absolutely loved it and couldn't imagine life without one. I guess that's called GAS, huh? Well, I never bought one. That dream went away 15 years ago (that's how long it's been).

I know some people who compare it to a Warwick, but to me, it's somewhere between an MTD 635, Elrick, and a Fodera, with a neck shape similar to the original Modulus (pre-truss rod) neck.

Because of the woods (and an oil finish, as opposed to poly), the tone is very warm and dark. With the neck pickup solo'd, the tone is incredibly warm and P-bass-ish. With the neck pickup solo'd, the tone is as growly as any bass I've heard, like a good Jazz bass should be. On this particular bass, the harmonic content is so strong that it made Dan Lenard (US dealer for Jerzy) nearly flip backwards when he heard it. While all Jerzys I've played are amazing, this one has an edge somewhere. It's so warm, yet clear and could be the combination of the wenge/bubinga neck with the walnut body.

Musically, I think it fits a lot of styles. I'd love to say where, but my music career was cut short by the pregnancy of my wife followed by the birth of my now 7-week old son. It has seen the studio (I never heard the final recording) and a couple of jazz gigs, but that's it. Hopefully I'll get this bass out soon...
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My Jerzy works better on Blues, non-heavy metal rock, and jazz.

I've played over a dozen Jerzys whose wood combinations are all over the place. One I played had an ash body, maple neck, and cocobolo board. It was a lot lighter and brighter. I think the owner of that does hard rock and southern rock (???). I played another that had a thick maple top and an etimoe body that had the same upper-mid sweetness as my all maple Spector.

So, ultimately, I think the music each one is suited for depends on the woods (and neck attachment and electronics) the buyer chooses.
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played 2 or 3 and had a damned hard time putting it down!
  10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Damn, just when i think i have too much to do with getting the new power-amp and fishing for some good cabs to get the jerzy out of my head for a while, threads like this surface... :rolleyes:
    I'll get the money together by next year - or the year after that...
    like a Mastery 6 with 34" wenge/bubinga neck, bubinga top and ash back....
    *Unidentified liquid causing problems with keyboard*

^thats me drooling for it :D