Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have a lot of experience painting wood cabinets?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, May 26, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm no noob to painting but this is my first time painting wood cabinets. We're painting the kitchen cabinets in our new home and I have a question. We're already done with the prep and have the primer on half of the cabinets. I've read a lot of articles and how-to on painting cabinets and I'm getting mixed suggestions on what to use to apply the paint coats. Several articles have suggested using a roller with a short nap or a foam roller. Then I read a couple of articles (one from the "This Old House" website) that specifically say to NOT use a roller or foam roller. Has anyone here had experience using both a roller and a brush? If so what were the differences and did you have success on cabinets with a roller? It would definitely speed things up if I could use a roller!

brad cook

2. Someone help! I'm also right in the middle of this. I just started sanding the doors. I was thinking of a paint sprayer but I'm afraid of the overspray mist getting all over the place even if I cover things up well.

3. sprayers can be a real nightmare inside. especially in a kitchen.

where's that this old house article. i tend to have a lot of faith in those guys... even though it would be my tendancy to use a roller. i want to see what they have to say about it.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    baba,

Just remove the doors, spray them outside over plastic and use a brush or foam roller on the frame area that you can't remove. A mechanical screwdriver or drill with screwdriver bit makes door removal very fast. I had to remove mine anyway because we're replacing the hardware. If you don't have an electric sander then I'd suggest going down to Home Depot and spending the 30 bucks for one. I got a Ryobi Corner Cat and it's great. Definitely go with a corner cat over a round orbital sander as there are a lot of corners and whatnot on cabinets. It's a good investment and will cut way down on time.

brad cook

Edit: Some other tips that might possibly help you - I saved some money by buying drop cloths and paint tray liners along with other stuff at Big Lots (.89 each for the drop cloths). However, do NOT buy brushes or paint there and don't skimp on those two things. If you want a good looking finish buy good paint and apply with good professional quality brushes and rollers (such as Purdy or the high-end Wooster brushes). Two highly rated paints are Lowe's Valspar American Traditions and Home Depot's Behr Premium paint. Also make sure to lay down a good primer (such as Kilz or Bullseye 1-2-3) before you paint. Sorry if you already know all that.

6. Cool, thanks for the tips. I have a Dewalt palm sander I'm using. I'll have to hand sand all the beveled edges, etc. Spraying the doors outside makes sense. I've never used a foam roller, I'll check them out.

7. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I painted my kitchen cabinets several summers ago. Took all the doors off and painted the exterior frames and the doors with an oil based primer. This seals the wood so that no oils from the wood or sealant will seep(spelling?) through later. Then I painted two coats over the primer coat. They have held up great and I didn't sand a thing.
    Good luck to you! It made a huge difference in my kitchen.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I painted using a foam roller yesterday and it looks great today. There is a very VERY slight stippling that most will not notice unless they look up close. I actually kind of like the slight stippling but for the most part it is invisible. The roller is the way to go I think unless you're using a sprayer. I'm using a 4" roller since cabinets aren't all that big anyway...it was definitely much faster than the brush. Just don't push down hard and don't use too much paint.

Well, I'm off to a friend's ranch in the Davis Mtns. for four days. Everyone have a great holiday!

brad cook