Anyone have a Nordstrand on order?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Oct 5, 2005.

1. In my searching for a 5 strings bass tuned E-C I think I may have found my bassbuilder - Carey Nordstrand

I was think of order a Nordstrand NX model. I really like that model!

Does any one have a Nordstrand on order? If so? It would great if you would share some info with me like Model and which wood combo and pickups/preamp you have ordered?

There are many things that I not sure of yet. Mostly pickups/preamp.

2. I don't have one on order I am very disappointed to say. But I don't think you can really go wrong with Carey. It is just that I've never heard of an unsatisfied customer and even the people who have sold their Nordstrand always comment that the reason they are selling are not attributable to the bass.
  3. millner

Sep 26, 2005
    Yo, I'm in the same boat as you! I want to order a NX as well (a 6 though) but I'm stuck on woods and preamps. Once we get our stuff straight we should make a "hate life until we get our nordstrand" club haha.

For pickups I think I've decided on the Nord dual coils. Maybe I'll mix it with a Demeter or Aguilar preamp and a handful of extra controls so I look like I'm driving a spaceship when I'm playing my bass.
  4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Carey has stopped taking direct orders- to order a bass you must go thru a dealer.. they can help you with your questions..
    there are few dealers for Nordstrand
    there's JPJ from Blueberry Hill, there's Joel and David from the Groove Shoppe and there's me, your humble servant...
    We are all members here, so feel free to pm any of us with any questions.. peace!- Adrian
  5. A NX 6 would also nice!

I was thinking af Alder og Mahogany body with Redwood top and a Ebony fingerboard or (pink ivory to match the redwood top). I want small frets 24 or 26! Still not sure how many!
    Also want dual coils with a ramp.
    Does that sound nice? ;)

6. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    FWIW - I have three basses with Nordstrand pickups... two with the Aguilar OBP-3, and one with the OBP-1. Nordies and Aguilar seems a match made in heaven.

I'm sure others can attest to the pairing of Nordies and Demeter
  7. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    hey, that's similar to the first design of mine:

mahogany or alder body, maple top, ebony fingerboard, 24 frets, dual coils, ramp.

in the end i went with

mahogany body, maple top, pau ferro fingerboard, wenge/maple neck, 24 frets, dual coils, ramp.

but mine is an old hat (finished, october 2004 or so...).
  8. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    FWIW, I did NOT like the dual coil and aguilar combo. For some reason when that aguilar kicked in, it just became real boomy, or did not serve much of a purpose. Maybe its just me.

But then again, the bass sounded best when passive. Those dual coils have a RIGHTEOUS sound without any help. And I have tried some other basses with the dual coils, I either like them best with a minute amount of help from a preamp or just passive.
  9. Nice! You got some very nice basses!

How about a picture of it?

10. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    pm sent. :ninja:
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
  12. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Even though there is only one NX in existance, it seems to be an incredibly popular model. I have a few customers who will be coming up in the next two batches, and one of those will be the first 5-string NX, if I'm not mistaken. There are some fellow TBers who currently have basses on order, so hopefully they'll stop in. :)
  13. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I've basically decided that if I ever have the money to order a custom instrument, it will be through Carey Nordstrand. I mean, look at these!

^ I usually don't like singlecuts, but that's beyond awesome.

^Another awesome one.
  14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    IMHO, Carey's basses rank right up there in looks with Ritters and Jerzy Drozds. These three brands are absolutely the most beautiful instruments I have ever seen. Someday, I might be able to justify purchasing one from one of these builders.
  15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I just realized that Nordstrand basses are really not out of my reach, price wise. I have just never really looked into them, because I was thinking that they would be in the same range as Ritter basses.

Hmm, one more option to consider other than Roscoe.

Adrian--PM sent. ;)
  16. This one is mine. It has dual coils and the Aggie preamp. I am usually not crazy about the Aggie pre, but this combo works on this bass. Maybe it's the Adler body and the snakewood board, but this bass is cuts thru, blends beautifully in the mix and is a dream to play.

i would encourage you to talk to Cary about what you are searching for in terms of sound. He is a great listener with the still to deliver on your expectations.

I've had the fortunate experience to play almost every brand of bass out there and I have never played a bass better than this Nordstrand. If I wanted, I could afford about anything out there. If I needed another bass, I would not hesitate having Cary build me another one.

17. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    You sir, are a lucky man. That is possibly one of the coolest basses I've ever seen.

I heard the Nordstrand pickups work really well with the Aguilar preamps.
  18. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Double :D