Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have a socket for my rig!?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Lewis7789, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    So we are the opening band for this indoor music festival with a bunch of other jam bands. We're a pretty big band with two full kit drummers, two guitarists and a keys player with 4 keyboards, and of course myself on bass. My main focus is to get the drummers set up, then keys and guitars, then I'll set my bass rig up, as it only takes about 5 minutes. Everyone is good to go except I can't find a damn outlet for my amp! I've got an Art power conditioner and everything is plugged into that, so I only need one socket for everything. But Everyone else has the sockets used up with amps, pedals and lights. The only plug left is one of four being used with the lighting system. I beg and plead for the guitarist to spare a plug, but to no avail. I quickly plug in and we start the first couple of songs as I'm franticly trying to get a decent EQ from my wavering amp. My voltage meter on the power conditioner is going crazy.
    After the third song, the soundman stops us because I'm getting a lot of buzz from my amp. I have no ground lift on it so I unplug it, quickly find my backup extension cord (as my guitarist was using my main extension cord) and plug it into the amp. Then I'm wandering around with the other end of the extension cord in my hands asking everyone in the audience to look around for a wall socket. I looked like a bum with his last precious possesion looking for any scrap of electricity. I finally find a spare outlet at the back of the room, fire up my amp and we get back to some music.
    That was probably the longest three mintues of my life onstage...

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I had the battery in a bass die and discovered that both of the backup batteries were no good. So I had no sound coming out of my bass (no passive backup option on that one) Changed the battery, had it die before we could start a song, changed battery again, and had it die AGAIN! ANd this was the only gig we had that month while my oother bass was in the shop. So I was bass-less until someone in the audience tossed me a battery.

3. I'm afraid I would have just unplugged the guitarist and taken one of his power sockets - especially considering he was using your extension lead. That's just selfish of the rest of the band in my opinion. I'm sure one of the other members could have done without some effects, or a keyboard, if it meant the difference between having a bass player and not having one...

Oh well, glad you got there in the end! :D