1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone have a "special" Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheFenderBender, Jun 27, 2012.

1. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    Those basses you get attached to.;)

2. hip63

hip63

Sep 14, 2010
    My '88 Peavey Dyna Bass Unity Series.

I think there's enough of my DNA in the fretboard to be cloned from it :)

And my '91 Ibanez that my wife gave (she passed away over nine years ago) so it is the most special to me for obvious reasons.

But really I love all my basses, but those two are the most special.

hip63 :p

3. I am very attached to my first custom- a fretted Stambaugh 6, I love my main player- a MIM/Allparts P & the MIA Jazz 5 I scored for $425 years ago high is on the *DO NOT SELL* list too. I actually really like the Warwick(see sig)I'm trying to unload, I just don't have a gig that calls for it. I've culled a lot of marginal stuff out & really dig most of my stuff- basses, amps, FX & etc.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My Ric is special to me. I don't really play her much anymore, but I don't see myself ever selling her.

My Franken-Fender holds a special place in my heart as well. I'm sure its monetary value is near zero, but I love the damn thing!

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

My 1974 P bass.

All original but pretty mangled.

My wife bought it for me 6-7 years ago and it is one of the lightest and best playing P basses I have ever played.

Also, It was the only bass used for decades by the bass player of a minimally famous 80's band. Kinda cool that every pic of the band live shows my bass!

6. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    This one:

CIIfull02.

7. Drop a name, yo

8. I had a special bass and didn't realize it at the time. My 1971 Dan Armstrong. Sorry I sold it.. What I don't miss is that crappy hair style! lol!

DanArmstrong.

9. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    My P Elite II. I don't play it anymore, it hangs on the wall.

10. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    I haven't had good luck with 'special basses'.
    My1969 Telecaster, which I bought new, was beyond a special bass to me. It got stolen in 1978.
    In 1978 I was at the Music Man factory and bought the first natural finish Sting Ray off the assembly line. That was also beyond special. It got stolen in 1989.
    I bought a very early G&L L-1000 in 1980, L-1000 #69 I believe, and I'm starting to really get attached to it, but now I'm afraid to like it too much.
    GMusicMan.

11. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    139024. My first bass, a pretty budget instrument... but amazing for the dough: http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_hot_rod_bass.htm

...It was a gift. I might mod her, I have a replacement nut for the one I cracked already (it's now held in with a drop of super glue... I know, removing it'll be harder now:scowl:)

I like the feather weight too.:bassist::bassist:

12. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    my '00 fender hot-rod precision. it's just the 4-stringer that fits me best. same with my '09 schecter stiletto elite 5. i've had 2 other 5'ers (a '98 stingray 5 and an '09 schecter stiletto studio 5) and the other 2 are gone now but this one has stuck around. something about it just fits me.

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I never thought I would have such a strong bond to a bass, but my Spector is pretty special to me.

I really feel that fate delivered this bass to me.

-I always wanted a USA Spector, but decided I'd never be able to afford one. I got an incredible price on this one.

-I love single pickup basses, not many Spectors like that.

-I can't play a bass if it does not have normal 19mm string spacing...not many (5 string) Spectors like that.

-I bought this about a week before my Mom passed away. I wasn't going to get it because I obviously had other things to tend to, but something compelled me to get it.

It's kind of eeire how perfect this bass is for me, and it reminds me of my Mom so it will always be special to me.

[​IMG]

14. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    MMBongo, that is a really beautiful bass!

I have other, really great basses, but this Carvin LB70 just seems to fit me perfectly, and I love the way it sounds.

lb70floor.

15. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    My squier matt freeman pbass. the moment i picked it up, all other considerations vanished. I felt attached to it and i don't think i can ever sell it... maybe add a bridge pickup sometime later down the road. But i just love the feel of it so much! for some reason, it's not an ordinary pbass for me. :)

16. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Bongo - touching story, beautiful bass, maybe one of the best looking Spectors I've ever seen. You need to jump in the new Spector thread with this pic, I've never seen a single pickup 5 string USA Spector before.

17. I feel I can relate...

I bought my 4003 in the spring of '04, with the small amount of cash that was left to me after my father was killed in a motorcycle accident the year before. I was thinking about trading up my Jetglo for a blue one a couple years ago, and just for kicks, decided to go to Ric's website and date the serial number.

I found out the bass was made the week he passed on. It always sounded awesome and has a really sturdy neck, so it's going nowhere now.

Ric03.

Me rockin it before the beard:
    4003%2520wme.

18. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    My Ibanez Roadstar II 5 string. I have a fretted and a fretless, but the fretted has been with me since the beginning, seen many gigs and recordings,and a couple of mods.

Also quite attached to my 83 MIJ P and my 84 MIJ J.

wraub