Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have a Stroy bass...post your comments

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theaterbass29, Jan 16, 2004.

1. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Hey Guys,
    I have a friend thinking of picking up what appears to be a nice Stroy bass made by Brandin Stroy of Houston,Tx. Does anyone out there have one of his basses, and if so, what do you think of this craftsmenship? I know Brandin is a member of this forum, so go ahead and post your opinion, too, Brandin. One thing, does your single cut bass offer an active/passive switch? I didnt see it in the description. Why doesnt the Dimarzio Dual Coil pickups have pole pieces like the Aeros or Duncans of this caliber? Do you feel this altars the tone in any way? Are your 5 string basses 35 in scale? One last thing, how heavy do your 5 string single cut basses run? Thanks for any input on this thread.

2. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    The basses that I build are built to the specs of the customer. So electronic wise, it is up to the customer to decide if he/she wants an active/passive switch option.

The Dimarzio dual coils are just different in design than Aero or Duncans. They are designed more like bartolini's. There are no pole peices. It is more of a rail or bar system design. With this type of pickup you have more flexability with string spacing. With pole piece design pickups you need to align the string with the poles or vice versa. It is hard to say the rail type sounds different than the pole piece designed pickups, unless they are manufactured by the same company.

All the basses are 34.5" I think this is a happy medium, still coming close to that 34" sound while maintaining a tight B string.

As far as weight is concerned on the single cutaway style, it is around 7.5-9 lbs depending on what is chosen.

Feel free to email me if you have any more questions.

3. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Is your friend interested in a new bass or the one on Ebay. Have your friend email me if he/she is interested in the one on ebay so that the electronics are what is needed. They can be wired up any kinda way.

Also, if he or she or any one else needs a quote on a new instrument, I can do that too.

4. Uhhhh, half an inch isn't going to make an appreciable difference in string tension...

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Stroy, how many basses have you built so far, 3?

6. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I have actually built 7 basses, I think.
    I dont know how many guitars. I worked with a guy here in Houston for a while that is building guitars and basses.

When building these basses I feel .5" makes a difference when it comes to the B string. And realy these measurements are only theoretical.
    The string length changes as you intonate the bass.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    (34.5/34)^2 = 1.0296, so that's about 3% higher tension (with the same string at the same pitch). Whether 3% is appreciable is a matter of opinion.

8. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Well Brandin, turns out my friend won your Ebay auction and is getting your KS bass. I didnt want to elude to the fact that it was that bass I was speaking of until he got it, I was afraid someone else might check it out and buy it out from under him. Anyways, I think he is going to want the active/passive switch, but you may want to talk to him about it. If not, could you send a diagram on how to hook it up so I can do it for him later. Were both looking forward to checking out your work. One other item, is the myrtle top 1/4 in thick, or is it thicker? And, he is a 17mm string spacing fan, as you know he plays Zon basses, so you may want to set it up for him, since the Hipshot is adjustable. Again, Im sure he will tell you what he wants, just giving you a heads up on what he likes.

9. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    How far are you guys from Gatlinburg?
    I will be there next weekend on a gig.
    If you guys get a chance to get away I will be there.

I will be speaking with him sometime soon to figure out what configuration he would like.

10. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    We practically are in Gatlinburg. Its like three little cities all in one area, G-burg, P Forge, and Sevierville. You will probably go through P Forge and Sevierville as you are coming in from the Interstate to get to G burg. Where are you playing up there? My show is running on the weekends right now, its the Black Bear Jamboree Dinner Theater, and Trevor plays for the Louise Mandrell Theater, but they are on hiatus, so he is busy producing in the studio and working with his band, 3. I think 3 is doing a Tuesday thru Thursday next week in Knoxville, if you get a chance on your way in, they are a great 3 piece rock band, actually theyre awesome. But if you want to hook up and have a drink and talk shop when you get to town, let me know where you are playing and I will come check you out after work. My name is Jeff by the way.....

11. I've recently acquired a Stroy KS prototype Singlecut 5 string bass. Flamed redwood top, ash body, maple Wenge 5 piece neck and a massacar ebony fretboard w/ matching headstock. It is a prototype so it is fairly rough and it seems about 85% finished. Areo pickups with passive wiring. The frets are...banjo maybe? Really small but not mandolin small. Plays well and sounds good. It'll be worth fixing up as it is in need of some fret work and new guts. It seems as though Brandin does fine work. I may buy another directly at some point. Nice bass.

12. Brandin,
    I saw that you are from Houston and on your website you had a link to the Caedmon's Call site...Do you know the Caedmon's crew? if so I'm extremely jealous (well not really jealous but wish I knew em...as far as not bass oriented music goes they along with Derek's solo stuff, and Andrew Peterson make up about 99.999% of my listening as of late)

either way awesome stuff!