Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have a USA Spector 5 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RSmith, Jan 14, 2005.

1. So in a few days I'm getting a USA NS JH5FM that I scored on TB. Needless to say I'm chompin' at the bit. I've done a few searches and I'm not coming up with any info on these. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this bass or other USA made 5's by Spector.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I owned a USA Neck Thru that was my main bass for a year or so. At the time it was the best sounding & playing bass I played or owned until I played a (insert bass company name I'm not allowed to post due to the "New Commercial User Policy" {NCUP}). The Spector is still an awesome bass played great sounded great but my (insert bass company name I'm not allowed to psot due to the NCUP) bass sounded better. I still wish I had the Spector but it was SOOOO heavy, I don't think I'd play it anyway. :)

[​IMG]

I currently have a bass like yours but a 4 string, an NS-2J with 2 EMG J's. It plays nice but it dosen't sound like basses I'm familiar with. It has an Ash body and rosewood fretboard with Aguilar (can I post that name? :)) and EMG's that I'm very familiar with but I think the Aluminum bridge is making it sound... not what I'm used to, if that makes any sense. I'm going to Call hipshot and get see if I can get a brass bridge for it.

[​IMG]

3. Nice bass Nino! In your experience are they versatile? I play anything from hard rock to funk to worship music and I'm hoping I can find those tones to some degree. Mine will have the J pick-up at the neck and a soapbar at the bridge with an Aggie pre.

4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    My main bass is a usa spector 5 peacock blue. As is it versatile then yes very much so! Has a wnderfull b and a awsome slap tone! The thing i love most about the bass is that you can make so many tones with it. I will try to post a pic for ya tom.

5. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Ahh here is a pic of my spector.

Attached Files:

6. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    If I remember correctly, the Spector you're getting has the EMG TW pickup in the bridge position. You can tell but the color of the logo (Bronze). If it has this pickup, you can use a push/pull on one of the pots to switch the p/u operation from Dual Coil to Single coil.

I think along with the OBP-1, this will be a versatile bass for what you're loking to use it for. Congrats.

7. Thanks for the responses. Nice bass there Eric Atkinson. I'm excited, I had a Euro 4 from a trade awhile back and the workmanship was excellent. I bet the USA 5 will nail it too. I moved the Euro cause the neck was a little baseball bat like but overall I think it had to be one of the nicer basses to come my way.

8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Where's Firk when you need him. He has both Euro and USA Spectors, he can tell you the difference. It's significant from what I hear. I'll have first hand knowledge after NAMM next week.

9. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    You guys think i should place the new peacock DR strings on that peacock bass? :eyebrow: I play DRs any ways so it is a thought just not sure if it would be too much??

10. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    From my experience, the main differences between the Euro and USA basses are:

* USA model has a slightly thinner neck
    * USA model has prettier abalone crown inlays
    * USA model has a different EQ circuit
    * USA models have the choice of woods, etc you don't get on the Euros (since they're fully custom-made)

Other than that, they're very similar, same pickups and a very similar sound and feel, in my opinion.

I'd still love a fully custom USA Spector 5 though... :D

Russ :bassist:

11. Cool XO thanks for the info.
    Eric, do whatever you want with your strings as most of our bandmates are thinking about themselves too much to notice :p .

12. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    +1

13. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    DUDE, DO IT!!! I have the red ones on my Black Cherry Euro-5 and black ones on my black/blue Euro-4 and babinga Legend-6. They are really good strings and last a long time. I've been very happy with them over the past 2 years. BTW, just in case anyone's wondering they are basically High Beams w/ the coating. So, I use High Beams on my natural finish Spectors where the colors would look funny, this way I get a consistant tone.

14. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    yeah i think i will put them on! i just cant help thinking that the peacock strings would look awsome on my spector and more than that i bet they would look awsome on stage!! I use the black DRs on my warwick and they look great.

15. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    OK. I am summoned.
    The diff between Euro and US:
    US has a thinner/wider neck, weight is lighter and is fuller sounding.
    Euro has a fatter neck, heavier, and is a true slap machine.

I have an NS2j like Nino's and I love it. I took the Tone Pump out of it and replaced it with the EMG BQC system because I wanted mid control and it makes a huge difference. I like the hipshot that comes with it because you can adjust string spacing. The neck is a little wider which I like because you can solo for days and your hand doesn't cramp.

I have a few Czech/Euro's and they are great. Build and sound are great. The neck isn't as bad as people say.

I am waiting for my custom Spalted US JH5 and it should be here in February.

Personally I like the US's feel and finger style sound better. But, I like the have the Euro around for those slappy moments.