Anyone Have a Wal Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazlo Panaflex, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Ive been interested in these basses ever since i heard that Justin Chancellor from Tool uses one. Ive never actually seen one? Anyone want to show off? :)
  2. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Here is my "Geddy Lee" Wal MachII

3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Didnt you just get that not long ago? How do u like it?
  4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Precision/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Lord knows if your not happy with it I'll take it off your hands!!! Sweetest dang Geddy I've ever seen....:D
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't have one, but the music teacher at my high school(who was a bassist) had 1, a fretless one and I got to play it a lot.

that thing was sweeeeeeeeeet.

their webpage
  6. Gee, I'm glad that you asked. I LOVE my Wal!
    It's a 5-string (obvious) fretless Mach II.

Not a great snap, but here it is from a player's POV:

7. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    It kicks major bootay. I have done some setup work on it & I really like it. It took a while to get used to the controls, but I've got the hang of them now and can get a huge variety of sounds from it, plus it is easy to play. Slap is a little tough because of the large space between the strings and the body at the end of the fretboard, but the finger sound kills (I am not much of a slapper anyway and I have a stingray for that if I want). The tone is very "Wal" (read: not Fender sounding) and I like it a lot.

another shot:

8. I should have mentioned earlier how much I love your bass KB. Some flame happenin' there - looks great!

Did you try the tone settings that Lowell (Hippiesandwich) suggested in your earlier "My new baby" thread? WOW!!! It's hard to imagine a more versatile preamp.
  9. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yeah I've tried those settings and a few others. Right now my fav is 7 on neck 5 on bridge neither boosted, pick attack off, blend slightly towards the neck. this give a nice low mid growl.

I a still working with the setting for the pick attack. Since I play through a SWR amp the highs are already very clear so I am having to turn the pick attack setting way down so it doesn't rip my head off. But other than that the pre-amp is killer.

Yeah there is some nice flame/quilt on the bass (shows us better in person than on the bass photos). my bass happens to be Bass of the month on for April 2003.

10. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
  11. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Man these are nice basses, how much do they go for usually?

EDIT: wow! $3500 for a new one, and i thought my stingray was a lot :)
  12. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
  13. Now that's a hard act (or post) to follow.