Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have an accurate tab of "I Want You Back" by the Jackson Five?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Jacob M, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    I'm a new bassist, and I'm trying to learn to play I Want You Back, by the Jackson Five. As far as I can tell, I've got the verse and chorus down, but I just can't get the bridge, or whatever you'd call the part from about 3:55-4:13. So, if anyone knows how to play that and could tab it out for me, ir if anyone could just link me to an accurate tab (I've tried lots of different ones but none sound right), I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks alot,
    Jacob

2. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    You are off to a good start as the bass playin' in that one smokes!

Is the bass on that track James Jamerson or someone trying to sound like him?

Check out the transcription at http://www.mysongbook.com/tab-tab_list-id_artist=1056.htm

3. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    Well, I've been told that it's James Jamerson, and since it's a Motown song, it makes sense that it would be.

Thanks for the compliment, though it's not like I just started playing bass recently without doing anything before that, I played guitar for around 4 years before I picked up the bass (and man, am I happy I made the transisiton).

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The bassist is Wilton Felder(better known as the saxophonist in The Crusaders).

Bass Player once did a full transcription of this tune...maybe 3-4 years ago?

6. moosemoosemoose

moosemoosemoose

Apr 29, 2005
    None of those links work anymore!

Anyone got either a good tab or proper musical transcription of this song?

Thanks

7. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    i used to have what i recall to be a dead on copy of the music for it.

but cant for the life of me remember what book it came out of.

8. Bluesy Soul

Bluesy Soul Gold Supporting Member

Check out the transcription and the CD in Hal Leonard's Bass Play-Along Vol. 2 -- R & B. If it's not dead on, it's darned close. If it's not at your local music store, try www.bassbooks.com.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

9. JayM

JayM

Apr 4, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I think this is in the Bass Tab White Pages. That has both notation and tab.

10. Legends

Legends

Jul 6, 2007
    Atlanta

I can confirm that. It's in there.

11. For what it's worth, here's my take on this great song: http://grandsix.org/forum/I Want You Back.pdf (standard notation and tab). It's somewhat messy but I hope it will be useful anyway.

I also made a video of myself playing the bass line:

Cheers!

12. i've got the dots.........it's a geetar rag transcript and i can mail it to you..but not 'til next week....heavy work rotation.....

13. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Torrance, California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine