Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have an Aguilar GS112NT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, May 7, 2005.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'm assuming that the only difference is no tweeter in the NT version. Anyway I just bought a GS112 and a GS112NT. Tell me how smart I am! :D And yes I am having a fire sale on all my other gear. Now it's time to sit and wait for the brown truck.

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yes the only difference is the lack of a tweeter. I'd say you're pretty smart. You don't neet 2 horns for a 2x112 stack. I have two regualr 112's and if I ever get a 3rd cab it will be a NT.

3. jermng

jermng

May 6, 2002
    Singapore
    Hi DubDub,
    Since you're using 2 112s, would like to hear you opinion. I'm currently using a single 112 and have always been able to feel the bass but not really hear it when I play with louder rock drummers. Was thinking of getting either a 210 or another 112 but am not sure if another 112 will still not be able to give me the "mid section" to hear. Any reviews on your rig or opinions on that? I'm using a DB659 into a 200w poweramp.

Jeremy Ng

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the aggies definitely could use a mid bump to be more audible. two of em will actually probably have more apparent low end and "apparrently less" mids due to the increased lows. even cutting the lows on your preamp might help in the "cutting thru" dept.

great cabs, fortunately they seem to take the eq well when needed.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've got the 2 112s and it's a great combination. They are a little mid shy, but you've got a lot of thick gooey bottom out of small speakers. I use a DB359 with the 112s and it sounds great. I turn off the tweeter on one cab and it sounds great. Both tweeters are definitely overkill and I've encountered some strange phasing issues, especially when using my C string on my six. The DB359 is a 200 watt amp, but I can use that setup for most gigs and it works well. I think I found the best combo of 112s. I just used an epifani T-112 (which I picked up her on TB with the Aguilar and had a great sound and a lot of depth. I've tried this with the berg 112s but because of the speaker efficiency I haven't been able to make this work well. The berg pulls most of the power and the aguilar is left with the remainder. Since the sensitivity is not as dramatic between the epifani and the aguilar, it works well.

I digressed a little, but yeah, you made a smart decision...

6. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    They're not the most cutting cabs. I have some trouble hearing myspelf over the guitars and drums but the volume levels my band practices are insane (the guitarists only play with their amps cranked and the drummer refuses to play any softer and is one of the loudest drummer I've ever heard.) When I bought the two cabs I didn't have a second cable ready so for the first couple of days of playing through them I was only using one cab and when I plugged in the second there was a big difference. Other TB members have noticed this as well. They just seem to go better in pairs. I have a similar rig but with two cabs (a 659 and a 200w per side poweramp run in parallel) and I really dig the sound. Both the pre and cabs are fairly mid shy so I have the mids boosted a little and I have the bass turned down. I really dig the sound but my tastes in tone aren't for everyone. I really love the rig. I'm looking to get a new poweramp so I have some headroom and possibly a 3rd or 4th cab eventually.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I know IvanMike, you have the Bag End stuff. I used to have the Bag End 15 cabs. They were loud and cut through the mix in a band situation. The only problem to me was the boxy sounding mid range of the Bag Ends just wasn't for me. That's why I'm thinking the Aguilar will do the trick for me.

I don't ever plan on playing in a super loud band ever again. Well see. I prefer thump and smooth with some low mid growl over boxy and agressive sounding. I'll be using my SVTCL/power amp set up with my Fender jazz V Jretro or G&L 2500. Mostly Blues, classic rock, maybe some country. Also at 42 pounds they will make my back very happy.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Chris, I just saw this while researching the idea of replacing my Bags with a GS112 / GS112NT pair. How are they working out for you?

I think we have similar tastes, so I value your comments.

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hey how's it going HeavyDuty? I never thought you'd consider changing from Bag End.
    To my ears, the Aguilars sound more mid scooped compared to the Bag Ends. I would say they are similar to an Ampeg cab sound except a little more hifi sounding. Plenty of low end oomph but not muddy. Very pleasing to my ears.
    Now I will say that they don't cut through a band mix like the Bag Ends but they cut through good enough for me since I always have PA support. The GS112's are shorter than the Bag Ends so some players here have said they have had problems hearing them on small stages. Getting about 10 feet away from the cabs helps me hear them better. Close up they sound kind of boomy but that drops off fairly quickly as you get farther away from them.
    They are actually about 5 pounds lighter than the Bag Ends if that matters. One thing they have in common with the Bag Ends is they seem to handle alot of power, No farting out on a loud low B. Even so, I'm only putting 275 watts into each cab and they get plenty loud.
    Am I glad I switched from Bag End to Aguilar? YES! I can't say whether they'll be right for you though. You'll need to go try some out for yourself.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, Chris!

I still like my Bags a lot, but I just have a feeling something different would open up that low B. Hopefully I can find a way to get a pair of new cabs and still keep the Bags, but time will tell.

I agree - there's three cabs I need to find and try at this point: Eden D112XLT, Aggie GS112/GS112NT, and G-K Neo112.