Anyone have an HDTV?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Just wondering if anyone on this board has an HDTV? If so, . . .

What make did you buy?
    What size did you buy?
    Why did you choose that one?

Anything else you'd like to add>>

2. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    I got a Toshiba 50" widescreen a few years ago. I chose it because I liked the picture the best, and it got good reviews.

A couple tips:

Join It costs $25/year, and can save you hundreds. You can look up repair rates, etc. to find the reliable brands, and see comparisons of tons of models. There are lots of great articles on how to buy, what to look for, etc. If you're thinking about a flat panel display (LCD or plasma), they've got the lowdown on those, too. (I personally feel rear projection is still the way to go.)

Be careful not to get one too big for your viewing space. Remember that the demos they are often showing in stores are a 1080 feed, the best you can get, while broadcast HD is 720 (I won't go into interlacing/progressive scan here, but as you do your research you'll learn about it), and regular, non-HD broadcast is about a third of that resolution. So, regular broadcasts will look like crap when they're blown up to big sizes. Anyway, measure how far away your couch is at home from where you're going to put the TV, and then take your tape measure to the store with you.

Get a widescreen, absolutely (the HD-ready TVs may all be widescreen now, I don't know).

When figuring cost, remember that if you're getting a set that does not have a built-in tuner, then you'll need to get a separate HD receiver. And then you have to pay more for your HD package from your dish/cable co. of course. If you can get your local channels in HD from your cable company (dish networks can't handle the bandwidth), then you won't have to mess with a separate antenna (which is a VERY hit-and-miss proposition).

Hope that helps a bit.
  3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Zeneith projector, Sony lcd, and DirecTV
  4. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    My mom got a Sony something or other, somewhere around 50", and for DVDs it's great, but VCR tapes look terrible on it and it can't seem to get a good picture from TV, either. The regular channels are terrible and the HD ones are good, but seem to glitch a lot. But that may just be our local cable, and for DVDs nothing beats it. You can see every pore on every actor's face!

Also, look at the instruction book before you buy!!!

My mom's TV and reciever came with all these bells and whistles (Integrated microphone hookup! USB Ready Connectivity! Sony Memory Card Compatible!) and upon looking in the instructions, all these nifty features are (reserved for future use). :rolleyes:
  5. Well, the reason I ask is that my wife and I just purchased one [to be delivered this Friday, 2/25/05]. We got the Sony LCD [not the complete flat screen], 50" screen size [which I hope won't be TOO big, to where we should have gone with the 42"]. We recently moved, and our new living room is bigger than what we had. The 27" TV that we currently have was just fine for the other living room, but it's too small for our currently living room. The 42" looked pretty big, but went 50". But since it's a wide screen, to where non-wide screen stations make a more square with black side bars on either side of the picture, the 50" would be more like a 40 or so inch TV.

I wasn't originally going to get one, but I was just showing my wife how much better the picture is, figuring she'd bow out because of the price, but she thought it was very cool, and wanted to get one.

Oh, we have digital cable, so hopefully, the stations will come in aright. At any rate, the HDTV should have a better picture than a tube TV on the local channels, one would hope.

Now, we just have to go out and buy a stand to put it on. :meh:
  6. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Unfortunately they won't. :meh: The tube TVs may actually look better, as a good one will display colors better than an LCD (LCDs can't display a true black -- it's sort of a bluish black). And they don't suffer from motion artifacts either. But it's not a big deal, and hopefully with increasing HD programming, you won't have to suffer through too many crappy broadcasts. :) And the HD picture is just incredible, so you'll definitely enjoy it. Football is amazing in HD! The nature/Discovery channel stuff, too. Well, heck, anything really. :)
  7. Well, I just figured it WOULD have a little better picture. Seems it has smaller pixels than a regular TV.

Yeah, I hope they have more HD friendly channels soon too.

Kinda hope we didn't buy one too soon. :meh:
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Dave, I don't think you bought one too soon.

The service with the best selection of HD channels that I've seen is Voom. I don't have any experience with them but I've looked them over and it seems pretty good. Lots of HD programming.

Also, you probably know this already but if you have an HD receiver and a standard TV antenna (like rabbit ears or something) you can pick up HD broadcasts from your local affiliates for free.

brad cook
  9. spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    One thing: when you get your new TV set up, don't watch 15 minutes of regular programming, then decide it wasn't worth it. You have to see a high quality HD show to see what it is capable of. Even DVD can't stand up against HD quality picture.

BTW, we have a Hitachi widescreen projection. It has a much better picture than most LCD/plasma screens in the same price range, and has a much wider viewing angle.
  10. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    This from Consumer Reports (again, I really recommend joining as it is so worth it): "LCD sets still have some growing up to do, though. They don’t equal better picture-tube and plasma TVs at displaying deep black levels and fast motion, so they’re not the best choice if you watch mostly sports and action movies."

Plasmas have their share of problems, too. Basically, if you have the space and aren't infatuated with the sex appeal of the flat panels, get a rear projection model for the best results.

One more bit of advice: buy it at a place that won't hassle you on returns. I bought mine at Best Buy, and I actually returned the first one I bought after a few days -- they picked it up for free, no questions asked, no restocking fee, and brought me the new one.

Voom does have the most channels, but it is pretty pricey. I guess it depends on how much you have to spend every month and how much time you're not practicing bass. ;) Last I saw, they don't carry local channels, either.

*Maybe!* And actually, it's not likely. It depends entirely on your location and your distance from the transmitters. There are numerous types of HD antennas, and you can waste a lot of money if you don't pick the right one. In case anyone's curious, this is the site to start with:

Sean Mc
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I don't watch enough TV to pay the crazy amount of money these people are asking for an HDTV, and then the monthly cable charges. I have an older Hitachi big screen, and it works just fine. When I can buy a 50" HDTV for $600-800, then we'll be talking.

I did spend a few extra bucks on the large LCD monitor for my computer though. :)

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Just bought one today, as a matter of fact. Sony 50" LCD projection. Won't get it fot two weeks, though.
  13. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I have the fabulous use of my girlfriend's Samsung 52 inch DLP HDTV. It's pretty awe-inspiring, but most importantly, Gran Turismo 4 comes out for playstation 2 tomorrow and it will look like liquid sex on that screen.

Personally, I think that given the amount one ought to be watching TV, and the cost of HDTVs these days, it's hard to justify the $2-4K price tag on average budgets. But my girlfriend, you see, she likes to make the money. I am but the happy beneficiary
  14. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    We have a 42" Gateway plasma in the living room and a 51" Sony rear projection in our rec room. Watching the Super Bowl in HDTV is just undescribable. Where we live, all of the major networks broadcast in HDTV and non-HDTV. The quality of the HDTV broadcasts is totally astounding.

We got the Sony first, then Gateway was having a totally stupid sale on plasma TVs, so we sprang for it and put it up on the wall over the fireplace. Completely transformed the room.

15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well then we're talking because you can get a rear-projection HDTV for close to those prices in some cases. Sears had a 50+" Hitachi on sale for close to that price when I was in there one day. It may have been $899 but still..not too far away.

When people think of the expensive prices of HDs they usually think of the LCDs, Plasmas and DLPs. While those are all nice you can get a fantastic looking rear-projection HDTV for 1200 or less on any given day and under a grand with a good sale. Or you could always buy an HD projector and screen and have a 6 to 8 foot image HD image for way cheaper than any LCD or HD Plasma. Of course you pretty much need to have some thick curtains or blinds that can block out light if you want to have a bold picture during the day.

brad cook
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One reason I can't wait to get HDTV is that many of the broadcasts are in Dolby 5.1! Now, I'm not a Nascar fan per se but the other day I was watching a little of the Daytona 500 and as those cars fly by and you hear all that noise I was thinking "Man...if I had this in Dolby 5.1 and widescreen and the sound cranked up I could quickly become a Nascar fan!"

brad cook
  17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm running a Toshiba SIR-T151 OTA HDTV tuner using an antenna in my attic to recieve local channels from two markets (Washington and Baltimore). I'm projecting onto a 96" Da-Lite Model B from an Infocus X1 projector. It's not HDTV because my display is not HD, technically it's EDTV. It's great.

Some resources: (to see what locals you can get with an antenna)
  18. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Then you probably don't want to know that the Gateway plasma has the sound going through a Bose 3-2-1 surround system. Oooops....I didn't say that :ninja: :ninja:

19. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Why waste perfectly good 5.1 feeds by running them through a Bose system?!! If you insist on Bose at least get a 5.1 system. Isn't that 3-2-1 system the one that claims to reproduce surround sound through only three speakers? I wasn't impressed with it myself but that's pretty much the case with any Bose system.

brad cook
  20. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +1. Denon AVR-3805 reciever, Mordaunt Short Avant Series speakers is the win in home audio/cinema. I had the opportunity to sit in on one of the Bose demonstartions at The Mall of America, and yes it did decent low reproduction, but honestly, my shelf system does just about the same for way cheaper. They were going on and on throughout the demonstration how their systems sound so great, and have such great reproduction across the spectrum, and it only happened in their high-end stuff that is ridiculously expensive. Like I said, buy that Denon reciever, those speakers and you'll have an unbeatable home stereo setup, with plenty of ins and outs to spare for DVD players, VHS, computer etc. etc.