Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have an opinion on the Ibanez BTB bass?(or opinion on a bass inthe 650ish tag)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MyNameIsMUD, Sep 26, 2003.

1. MyNameIsMUD

MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    btw hello, :)

I am currently in the market for a new bass. I have played the Ibanez btb and I have to admit I do like the way they feel sound and look.
    So my question is, have you guys heard of any quility issues about them? Do you think they are worth the price? Do you have any general opinions about them?

Also, do any of you recommend a 4-string bass in the $650'ish tag (that is designed with slap style in mind)?

thanks ;)

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Decent basses... I had a 6 string model for a while.

Try doing a search on them. They've been discussed many times here.

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
  4. Woodsey

Woodsey Guest

Hi there MyNameIsMUD,
    My current bass is a BTB6 and i love it. It plays great. The only problem ive had is the active eq. the batterys drain if u leave an cable in the jack. But aslong as u remember to unplug it its great.
    If u want a more detailed opinion ill post 1 later but im kinda in a rush atm.

Woodsey

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If I was looking for a new bass in the 600 to 700 price range, I'd look no further than a new Lakland 55-01 (5 string) or 44-01 (4 string). They are in your price range, sound great, feel great, look great. They have decent string spacing and make good slappers.

6. MyNameIsMUD

MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    hmm I'll look'm up(lakland). I have never even seen one. I hope guitar center has one...

Also looked up the peavey Grind™ Bass 4 BXP NTB. neck/thru/body for 500/350 price range.. o_O for the money I save I can stick in some EMG's..
    but I have yet to play on a peavey either and I dont know anything about there quality on there low priced basses...(atm im going to search it up)

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i played a peavy cirrus once....very nice!

whats the string spacing like on the BTB6?

8. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    look into the peavey millenniums. i have a 5-string version and they can be found in the $500 range. they originally retailed for around 1500 but they have been discontinued (the american made version) but are widely available still on ebay.

9. MyNameIsMUD

MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    If I am not mistaken I could have sworn i saw the peavey millenniums priced way under $500. Then again I have spent the past 2 hours(holy crap has it been that long!?!) surfing the web for basses so I could be loosing it by now..

Okay atm looking twords:
    G&L Tribute L-2000 premium
    Lakland Skyline 44-01
    but since I havent played either one before.. my opinion is rather meeningless. :x
    Not to count peavey out but I still dont know much about them and have yet top play one. So I will just have to keep digging.
    And I am still looking into the ibanez btb's. but only if I can get a good deal on one.

oh and before I forget. Where do you think I should go to order a bass?(if guitarcenter/mr.e's doesnt have the exact bass i want)

10. I have a BTB 405 and I think they are very nice basses and they sell for about $400.00 on the used market. They have a little bit more bulk to their necks in comparison to the Laklands and the Peavey basses. The body shape has a bit of getting used to but I like them but you may not. I plan to get the upgraded version the BTB 515 E as soon as I can. The BTB 515 E has the Bartolinis and the mids sweep control switch which didn't really seem to do much of anything to me when I tried it. I would like to have that switch rewired to make it a active passive switch if I buy one . Sorry about the rattling on about my thoughts but I hope the other stuff helps in you making your decision.

11. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    you probably did see millenniums for less. peavey did a retarted thing here. they discontinued the american made version and started making one pretty much completely differents in korea and called it the same thing. the way to tel the difference is: the korean made ones have two j pups and the american one has a mm bridge pup and a j neck pup. i would say that the tribute is also probably a fine instrument. ive never gotten to play one, but ive heard good things about them. i played a btb405 at samash the other night and it sounded pretty good, it just felt like poor quality after just having got my peavey. you can find used peavey basses for really good prices because not many people realize how quality there upper line basses are. i can tell you that after having an american made peavey, it would be nearly impossible to go back and get another foreign made bass. i think i prolly just rambled a lot, but all of those basses you are looking at are great choices, used, higher quality basses can be found in the same price range.
    the peavey millennium (yes, im still talking about it) has the mid sweep knob and it is pretty much what gived the bass its full sound and its versatality. if you can find a bass w/ mid sweep in your pricerange, i would look into it. hope something in all of my typing helped you somehow.

edit: just so you can see the beauty of this bass...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2560220942&category=4713

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I owned a BTB-500 for a while & it was a very nice bass. Sounded great, the neck was nice but I felt that the bidy was alittle to big for my liking.

"I have played the Ibanez btb and I have to admit I do like the way they feel sound and look."
    -Then get it. :)

"Also, do any of you recommend a 4-string bass in the $650'ish tag?"
    -There are SOOO many basses in this price range, you're just gonna cunfuse yourself with all the answers you will receive. Basses I've played in this price range that are nice are:
    -Lakland 44-01
    -Lakland 44-02 (I belive it's more than your renge, but I can't remember)
    -Fender MIM Deluxe Jazz
    -Pre-Owned G&L L-2000
    -Pre-Owned G&L L-1500
    -Pre-owned Fender MIA Jazz