Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have an SX 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Jan 16, 2006.

1. I need to get a 5 string but have NO MONEY. Do they SX basses perform well for the basic 5 string? i will have to gig with it...WHich ones seem to be better?

thanks

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    What I've heard: Tight spacing, slightly loose B string...

3. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    You are correct sir. BUT I can live with it for the money.
    I have a SJB 75C. Cost around 200 shipped. 100 in upgrades. The customshop bridge really helps with the b string problem.

[​IMG]

4. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I own the fretless SJB-62 five string. I don't know if the fact that the string was used made any significant difference, but the B string was completely unacceptable on mine unless you like playing only stacatto on that string. I've since retuned the bass as a tenor since the first string change on it which for me is more adept toward my progressive style (think Lars Norberg, only I suck), and probably won't change the tuning anytime soon. Other than that, it's definately playable, but you'll probably want to do the traditional mods eventually.

5. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    I was about to ask the same ? ive heard on here they are as good as the mim fender jazz basses!! some one let ne know ??
    mim jazz 5 or sx jazz 5 ?????:smug: i got gas for a cheap 5 string!!!!!

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, most people go for the 4 strings, which are perfectly fine. Usually, they refer to that.

Anyways, I'm sure the 5 strings are just as good in build and quiality (or close nuff) - apparnetly changing the nut and the bridge can you you a lot more tension.

Oh well, I'll see when the Stingray comes out...

7. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Go play some Fbasses and price them out. Follow your wallet!
    Peace

8. I gig with one and they are pretty nice if you don't mind the string spacing.They sound like a decent Jazz and you don't have to worry about it getting beat up at the bar gigs as much as the pricier basses.I've been using DR Fat Beams on mine and the B doesn't sound too bad.The MIM Fenders I've had had better finishes and hardware but I don't think they sound better.For the money they are great.

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    That sounds like cruel and unusual punishment...

good idea!:ninja:

I still think that my SX sounds better acoustically than awny Fender I've tried (they all sound so...sterile! My SX sounds pretty warm...)

10. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Yeah...we got lucky. :D

11. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA

12. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    The sx 5ers are (in my experience) not quite as nice as the 4 stringers, but are still quite possibly the best bang for the buck in a 5 string. I bought the same one as bassksun. Basically this bass with the additons of inlays, binding and an ash body.

http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb6241.html

Mine was a blem model that I dropped a set of used carvin pups and it sounded great. I sold it when my lakland came, but it was definately a bass that was worth twice the cash paid.

If cash is the deciding factor....Go for it!

13. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    I'm also looking for a cheap 5 for my piccolo project. That seems like the bass! Is there any chance to find one in Scandinavia?

14. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i also have a SJB-75C. my own sounded great out of the box, string and all (even though they're due for a change now).

the only thing is that this model is kinda heavy - website says it's 11lbs. can't vouch for other models, tho'.

15. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I noticed that my SX sounds great when played acoustically. The best part is that my SX sounds just as good when amplified.

16. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    That's the only real problem with my SX, besides some uneven frets. This thing wears out my shoulder extremely quickly. I think mine weighed in closer to 12 lbs.

Also, the stock strings were horrible, IMO, but that's to be expected.

17. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV

18. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I have one. I played mine for about ten minutes, then tore it down, putting on a bridge that has 17mm string spacing. Then I put in a J-Retro. Now it is my primary backup for my Dean B2-5. More Jazz-like than my Dean, but at least as much tone. Next step- finding some more suitable pickups.

19. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    has anyone put a leo quan V bridge on their 5 string essex?

20. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Won't work- too wide. I think the biggest you could feasibly go is 17.5mm. Past that, you run
    A) past the edge of the fretboard.
    B) past the effective width of the pickups.

I wish I could put a 19mm bridge on it. I suppose you could put a BA-V on it, but you'd have to notch your bridge VERY narrow.