1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

anyone have any bad customer service stories?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fr0me0, Apr 28, 2006.

1. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    So we were doing some customer service training at work and they asked us to regal them with tales of good and bad customer service. I couldn't think of any good ones but I had what I thought was a pretty good bad one but some peoples really blew me out of the water. Here's mine:

So I'm 17 and need to change the clutch on my car. I wanted to get semi synthetic gear oil cause i thought there wasa good chance that synthetic would leak cause its an old car, but straight mineral oil got pretty tough to move someitmes when the car was just started with our cold winters. So I figured it'd be the best of both worlds

So I already got the clutch and the flywheel etc I just need the oil. So i head to a local independant retailer and say I need 4 litres of semi synthetic gear oil. THe guy says "what?" and repeat the question and he starts laughing. and then he yells back "hey gary you ever hear of semi synthetic gear oil" and gary comes out from the back and says "who the hell wants to buy semi synthetic gear oil" and he points to me and says "that boy: and they both laugh and the guy from the back says its the funniest thing they've ever heard of. Then they proceed to call out two more guys from the back to point and laugh at me and one of them says they could be wrong but the last time they were wrong was "1982 probably before I was born" :rolleyes:

so I pay for my regular gear oil and leave. any my friends dad was nice enough to let me use his garage with air tools. So I'm telling him the story and he says its odd and that he's heard of it before. He even goes as far to look around and finds a bottle of it.

So after its done. I drive down there slap the label down on the counter, Scream a few f sharps and let them know exactly what I think of their intelligence and their position of employment ask them who's laughing now and then take off.

Sure wasn't the most mature way to handle things but sure made me feel better.

anyways anyone else have some customer service nightmares to share?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Nice. You tell a good story. I have a most hilarious mental image of this whole event, and it is making me laugh really hard. So much so that I told the story to one of my co-workers and he is laughing too. At this point, we are trying to re-enact the whole thing with another guy. Sweet!

-Mike

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Everybody has bad service experiences. Most of them aren't worth mentioning unless there's some serious fraud or law breaking.

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Don't forget the Canadian accent!

5. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I can see how funny it might be to somsone else but i was so embarassed at the time, and so furious when i found out they were full of it,

looking back its kinda of funny though.

I don't have an accent :p

6. I wasn't involved in this one myself, but my teacher was.

A man called 911 because his wife was having a heart attack. He was stressing out (for obvious reasons) and started swearing at the 911 operator. The operator said, "You can't talk to me like that," and hung up. The guy's wife died.

Not funny at all. But it's probably the worst case of bad customer service I've ever heard of.

Rock on
    Eric

7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I was with my buddy and he was buying a video game. He had some sort of gift card with some money on it, which was how he planned to pay. They swiped the card, and when it wouldn't work everyone behind the counter started laughing. With each succesive swipe that didn't work they laughed a little more until it did. Eventually the card did work and my friend got his game. Before we left I told them that laughing in the face of paying customers is not great sales strategy. Pricks. :rolleyes:

But I work in a local retail store that has huge prices and bases itself on customer service. This means I'm extremely good at helping customers, which means that I end up being over-critical of other places. :bag:

8. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I work alot of customer service too. But i think openly mocking you customers is a no no pretty much anywhere you go. If you friend was making jokes about it i could see them laughing but if he wasn't then they were just laughing at his expense.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    What are ya talkin' a-boot, eh?

-Mike

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Gnarly dude!! Between you and the OP, you guys got me almost rolling on the floor laughing.

-Mike

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    1 word: Verizon

12. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I went into a video game store awhile back and found the game I was looking for and went up to the counter. No one was attending to the counter, instead the employees were playing Guitar Hero out on the display floor. One of them saw me and said "I'll be right with you, I just have to beat this song." I think he was playing Crossroads...Anyway, I waited about 4 minutes and she still hadn't finished so I walked over to him and hit the pause button on the guitar. She picked up on what I wanted...

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Um... you do know that those people only get paid with "video game time", no pay check just work to play... right? You just took away food from his kids mouth.