Anyone Have Any Experience with Cort GB Series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by invisiman, Jun 5, 2005.

1. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My friend has the one with the huge humbucker and the J pickup. I love it! I highly suggest it to anyone. It has a great slap tone, great pick tone, great all around tone. The neck is real smooth. I suggest it over a MIM Fender, or maybe even a MIA for that matter.
  3. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Bump for a second opinion :) Thanks Petary.
  4. IcoHolic

Aug 31, 2004
    I usually play everything Cort releases. Local store is a vendor. I dig the GB Series. It's a solid bass. I own a Curbow 5 and Curbow 6. I just dig the brighter tone. I have noticed some minor build quality issues with the Curbows, nothing too extreme.
  5. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Mind if I ask what kind of issues?
  6. IcoHolic

Aug 31, 2004
    One of the bolts for the neck started to come loose and lost its thread.... not a huge deal, just filled the hole and re-drilled... actually I guess that is kind of a big deal :) Keep in mind though that the Curbows are a luthite body, and the chances of that happening to wood are pretty much nill. Im pretty abusive to the guitars, and it's only happened once. Probably a freak thing.

The other problem was electrical, I was getting huge feedback... shielded the electronics cover and the buzz went away. It's like they forgot to put the shielding on it. (Purchased through an order for the colour I wanted, didn't get to play it beforehand.)

All in all, I'd buy more Cort's. I have an acoustic bass of theres too... no problems whatsoever so far.

I think you're going to have issues with any mass produced instruments. Just the laws of averages.

Keep in mind the Cort factory makes a TON of other companies guitars/basses. Fender, Ibanez, Tanglewood, Schecter, Hohner, Hamer, Conklin, Lakland and a host of others. So it's not like they don't know what they're doing.
  7. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    I like Cort instruments, and have had nothing but good experiences with them. I used to own a Cort Curbow 5, and have also 'borrowed' a Funk Machine and Artisan 5 before.

I had a fairly long try on the new GB Jazzes as well as the MM/Js as well as the Josh Paul and Billy Cox basses. Really liked the tone and construction on those instruments.

The new Cort line offers useful features like lighter Hipshot-style tuners as well as Neutrik jacks. Very good value for money, and a thoroughly underrated instrument. I would not hesitate to use one as a main instrument, if they weren't so expensive / hard to find here in Western Australia.

I grew up in Singapore and the importer always had good selection and competitive pricing.
  8. Thread is a bit stale but i have been researching Cort gear lately.

I went into Billy Hyde's music to look for a head to go with the Trace Cab i scored ($250!). The salesman (compete twit, he tried to convince me that an ampeg pre-amp was all i needed :eyebrow: ) said grab a bass, so i grabbed a Cort A4 and a Cort GB74. I plugged into a Genz Benz 600 and an ampeg classic 8x10 (I finally found a place that has REAL gear in Brisbane, still way over priced, the 810 was like $5000) and i soon forgot about buying the amp and thought about buying the bass!

Quick run down on both: (Basic info here

GB74 Pro's - Solid construction, AWESOME paint job (metallic blue), fast neck, string through, active or passive!, locking output jack, 2 band EQ. Alot of useful features for a cheap bass.

Con's - Dodgy brand pick-ups!! they sounded OK, but i am sure this bass would be unbelievable after a Pup swap.

A4 - Exotic woods, neck through, Bartolini pups, solid construction, to tell you the truth i couldn't find any problems with it, cept it is around $1000 which is out of my current price range.

Sorry if i rambled or didn't make sense, but i really beleive Cort make some great mid-range basses :bag: