Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Have Any Experience with Cort GB Series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by invisiman, Jun 5, 2005.

1. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
  2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My friend has the one with the huge humbucker and the J pickup. I love it! I highly suggest it to anyone. It has a great slap tone, great pick tone, great all around tone. The neck is real smooth. I suggest it over a MIM Fender, or maybe even a MIA for that matter.

3. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Bump for a second opinion :) Thanks Petary.

4. IcoHolic

IcoHolic

Aug 31, 2004
    I usually play everything Cort releases. Local store is a vendor. I dig the GB Series. It's a solid bass. I own a Curbow 5 and Curbow 6. I just dig the brighter tone. I have noticed some minor build quality issues with the Curbows, nothing too extreme.

5. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Mind if I ask what kind of issues?

6. IcoHolic

IcoHolic

Aug 31, 2004
    One of the bolts for the neck started to come loose and lost its thread.... not a huge deal, just filled the hole and re-drilled... actually I guess that is kind of a big deal :) Keep in mind though that the Curbows are a luthite body, and the chances of that happening to wood are pretty much nill. Im pretty abusive to the guitars, and it's only happened once. Probably a freak thing.

The other problem was electrical, I was getting huge feedback... shielded the electronics cover and the buzz went away. It's like they forgot to put the shielding on it. (Purchased through an order for the colour I wanted, didn't get to play it beforehand.)

All in all, I'd buy more Cort's. I have an acoustic bass of theres too... no problems whatsoever so far.

I think you're going to have issues with any mass produced instruments. Just the laws of averages.

Keep in mind the Cort factory makes a TON of other companies guitars/basses. Fender, Ibanez, Tanglewood, Schecter, Hohner, Hamer, Conklin, Lakland and a host of others. So it's not like they don't know what they're doing.

7. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    I like Cort instruments, and have had nothing but good experiences with them. I used to own a Cort Curbow 5, and have also 'borrowed' a Funk Machine and Artisan 5 before.

I had a fairly long try on the new GB Jazzes as well as the MM/Js as well as the Josh Paul and Billy Cox basses. Really liked the tone and construction on those instruments.

The new Cort line offers useful features like lighter Hipshot-style tuners as well as Neutrik jacks. Very good value for money, and a thoroughly underrated instrument. I would not hesitate to use one as a main instrument, if they weren't so expensive / hard to find here in Western Australia.

I grew up in Singapore and the importer always had good selection and competitive pricing.

8. Thread is a bit stale but i have been researching Cort gear lately.

I went into Billy Hyde's music to look for a head to go with the Trace Cab i scored ($250!). The salesman (compete twit, he tried to convince me that an ampeg pre-amp was all i needed :eyebrow: ) said grab a bass, so i grabbed a Cort A4 and a Cort GB74. I plugged into a Genz Benz 600 and an ampeg classic 8x10 (I finally found a place that has REAL gear in Brisbane, still way over priced, the 810 was like $5000) and i soon forgot about buying the amp and thought about buying the bass!

Quick run down on both: (Basic info here www.cort.com/basses/index.html)

GB74 Pro's - Solid construction, AWESOME paint job (metallic blue), fast neck, string through, active or passive!, locking output jack, 2 band EQ. Alot of useful features for a cheap bass.

Con's - Dodgy brand pick-ups!! they sounded OK, but i am sure this bass would be unbelievable after a Pup swap.

A4 - Exotic woods, neck through, Bartolini pups, solid construction, to tell you the truth i couldn't find any problems with it, cept it is around $1000 which is out of my current price range.

Sorry if i rambled or didn't make sense, but i really beleive Cort make some great mid-range basses :bag: