Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have any experience with the fender BXR 200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chief ten beers, Feb 23, 2005.

1. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    I seen one at a pawn shop for $200.I'm looking for a half way decent combo to gig out with.Would this serve as a good gigging amp?If you happen to own one what are it's pro's and cons?thanx

2. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    if it's sound like the BXR combo 300, it's a great deal.
    Mine is very nice. Reliable, good tone, very accurate eq. Powerful warm tone.

It's a 15' driver inside ?

I really like mine 300c.

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    actually these sound decent. For the $$ you can't loose. It's heavy and hard to move. But if you want a combo, it's a lot better than a used TNT that would be around that price

4. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I had one for awhile and it was a pretty good little amp. I gigged with it for about a year or so in little rooms. Definitely the 'Fender solid state tone' but pretty reliable. I had a BXR400 head that served me well for a bunch years prior, but I think I finally beat the life out of it & traded it in on a Yorkville XS400 head. I think that their BXR series was an OK line.

The last Fender bassman 100 I looked at was made in mexico & sounded really bad.

5. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I own one and it's a really neet little amp. As long as it works, sounds like you're getting a good deal.

6. stingray5bbx

stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    i had a bxr 100, and it sucked. There was no control over the limiter, and it just cut out everything. NO slapping. Also, I dont remember there been very defined highs. But a good little thumper.

7. That's a fine amp for the dough. Reasonably portable, loud enough for a lot of applications, all the features you need. I successfully auditioned with mine a lot. That said, the amp has a very strong midrange voice that is hard to overcome. The tone controls work fine unless you try to get rid of the overwhelming midrange character of the amp. That is not a bad thing, but you should be aware of it before you leap. Some folks might have a problem with it. A different speaker might change that, but I don't think that would be a cost effective experiment.