Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have any info on this music man setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mears, Jan 26, 2003.

1. mears

mears

Jan 25, 2003
    My dad has some old equipment that he used back in the day and I'm trying to figure out if its salvageable or if I should get my own stuff(I'm just learning).

The amp: Music Man HD-130
    The speakers: 2 Music Man 15s that came with the amp

The amp and possibly the speakers were damaged in a flood we had in our basement. I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with the stuff and even if someone would be able to fix it or not. Mainly I'm just wondering about the quality of the amp and speakers to see if it's even worth my time to look into repairs.

I know absolutely nothing about playing the bass yet, but I had my dad teach me a couple Metallica songs when I still lived at home and I was unable to figure out how to get distortion(if that is even the correct term) to work right with the setup.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    hmmmm..... Music man isn't really noted for it's amps. Their guitars and basses are awsome but I haven't seen too many of their amps around the traps. The flood thing worries me too. Speaker cones are usually made of paper moisture will ruin them. You could get them re-coned , but before you do that, have a qualified person check out the electronics of the amp - again water and electricity are a bad combination.

3. mears

mears

Jan 25, 2003
    Thanks for the reply. The cones are fine on the speakers. I'm not really sure if they work because I can't get the amp to power on at the moment.

Here are the links I could find about the amp:
    Review 1

and

Review 2

These guys are all had positive things to say about it, but who knows how much they know.

Here are some pics from an ended ebay auction
    Pics

I don't remember ours having foot reverb or switch tremold.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The speakers are easy to check. By the looks of the pic the speakers are in a seperate cabinet to the amp. Plug a guitar cable into the speaker box, grab a 9v battery. Place the tip of the jack on one of the battery terminals, and the shaft of the jack on the the other battery terminal. You should hear the speakers click and should be able to see them moving in and out - if they're working that is.

Amps are more complicated so I'll leave that one to someone more qualified.......

5. Mears, I still have my Music Man HD-130 with the front loaded Music Man 18'' reflex cabinet. Bought it new in 1978. The HD-130 in your pic must be a guitar amp.
    The one I have is for bass, no reverb. I still use mine for home practice. The head has a bass side and a normal side. Trust me if the head still works and the speakers are OK you will have a fine sounding amp. Check the back of the amp, it should have two speaker outs with a switch for 4ohm or 8ohm. I gigged with mine for 15 years before upgrading and more power (more money) and had no problems at all with it. I still pull out the 18'' every now and then and add it to my rig when I do an outside gig.

6. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Even though this is a guitar amp it could sound real good for bass. I still use my 65 Fender Dual Showman head for bass (which is also a guitar amp and only 85 watts) and I can tell you for practice and lower volume gigs it processes some off the sweetest bass sounds I ever heard...and believe me, I’m spoiled. I practiced with it tonight and I’m always amazed by its tone. I’m not familiar with the Music Man but if it’s designed similar to the old Fender Dual Showman It could be a great beginning to a terrific sounding rig. Get yourself an efficient speaker like an EA cxl-112 and you’re in biz. Good Luck!

7. mears

mears

Jan 25, 2003
    Ok that explains why I didn't think mine had a reverb. It is a bass amp. Those pictures on e-bay aren't of my dad's, they were just for reference. The speakers are seperates.

How much do amp repairs run nowadays?

Also anyone know anything about 15" music man speakers and their sound?

8. keep in mind that MM in that era was owned and operated by Leo himself. Because of that, you can see (and hear) a distinct family resemblence to the HD130 and the bassman's of similar vintage. The 15's will have a similar relationship. expect them to sound very vintage and warm, and very cool.

Guitar players still pine over the HD series, so if you decide to go with something more modern, there is a market to sell the head (and perhaps the cabs).

or if you like, ill take it all off your hands for $20 USD. cool?

9. Music Man amps are usually substantially louder than their Fender counterparts. They ran extremely high voltage on their output tubes and had weird driver circuits that pushed huge amounts of gain out of their output stage. Some had s/s drivers and some had tube. The s/s drivers/inverters produce more power, but even the early tube ones are plenty loud. All old Music Man amps had solid state preamps and tube power sections. Good stuff, IMO.