Anyone have any Peter Steele stories and/or equipment information?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I'm pretty sure everything that can be found out about Peter and his equipment has been mentioned in years past. But just curious if anyone had any first hand info?

Peter got myself & wife passes to a show at the Showbox in Seattle. He was OVERLY generous and offered everything in the green room (food & booze) to myself & wife. During the set, they let me operate the fog machine during Black No. 1 which was cool. At one point I started to ask Peter about his bass (because he was holding it backstage) and he said "Do you play?" I said yes and he goes "Here." and hands it to me and walks away. So I have a cool pic of me with Pete's bass slung on.

Can't believe it's been 8 years since he passed.

HauntedDave and StoicStrayCat like this.
  2. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    I met him once.

He was very tall.

That's all I got.

Axstar likes this.
  3. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    You are correct there. Lol :)

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

@Josh Thatguy would be one of the better people to ask. I don't know if he still posts around here though.

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  5. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Well, I am a huge fan and always into any info. I've been to Peter's grave several times and hung with Jimmy at Duffs.

6. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Nice. I've been to his bench & tree in Prospect Park before. My brother had to work for TON when they played in NJ. So after the show, my brother calls me in Seattle and after I answer he goes "Hey, someone wants to talk to you." Then I hear Peter's voice say "Hey Ron, whats the matter with your brother - he's rolling around on the floor naked crapping himself." (which was a lie - he was just being funny). After we spoke for a few mins he gave me his cell phone # and told me to call him the day of the show in Seattle.

So we end up at the Showbox in Seattle. Everything that was in the green room - he offered to us, food, drinks etc. Then once they were on stage, they let me operate the fog machine for Black No. 1. After the show we hung out for an hour or so and then finally decided to leave as to not wear out our welcome.

He told all kinds of funny stories backstage. And like I said earlier, I asked him something about his bass and he just handed it to me after asking if I played.

We had a really great night and we all definitely miss him :/

8liter and wolfkeller like this.
  7. MrKeef

MrKeef

Feb 15, 2018
    I miss Peter. No personal stories to share as I never got the opportunity to meet him. Seems like an incredibly down to earth guy, though. Great musician to boot. It's interesting reading personal stories people share.

Direct Box Rox and wolfkeller like this.
  8. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Too bad you don't have a picture of that !!!!

9. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I have the pic of me with his bass slung on backstage. What's weirder, the clock that is in the background shows the hands being at 8:45. There is a line in a TON song that goes "Just tell me the time....be it quarter of nine...." I'll see if I can find the pic of me with his bass...

wolfkeller likes this.
  10. Raineman_13

Raineman_13

Sep 1, 2016
    What bass was it he let you hold ?

11. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I think it was his Washburn...

44309_484957614874245_1543549203_n.jpg

wolfkeller and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  12. Raineman_13

Raineman_13

Sep 1, 2016
    I miss that bass! Very wicked!
    Used to own an m10 but not like his.

13. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    The green room is blue!

14. Raineman_13

Raineman_13

Sep 1, 2016
    I own a rarity bass, very cool, made it look similar to his Fernandes tremor bass he used back in the day. Is one of the prototype sustainer models made in 1995. Took awhile to get it to work, I have basically mastered the wiring for those damn mind shags lol...
    But anyway here is a pic.

Attached Files:

15. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Totally bad ass man! Lucky SOB

16. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Excellent :)

17. Raineman_13

Raineman_13

Sep 1, 2016
    Thank you man

18. Raineman_13

Raineman_13

Sep 1, 2016
    Right now I'm building a fusion bass, it's actually a cross between a stinger bass and an m10

19. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I talked to Rolf a while back in approx 2008. He wanted to get reconnected with Peter so I passed his info along. Not that long later, I noticed Esh had the new Stinger (Black & Green & Black & Red). I don't think Pete ever got to actually play it :/

20. Raineman_13

Raineman_13

Sep 1, 2016
    Unfortunately no, I have had alot of convos anout the matter with Mr viebrooks, he played a huge role in the making of those basses