1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone have both a main board AND a fly board?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kevan Campbell, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So, I’m getting tired of lugging around my Pedaltrain PT2 that’s moderately full of pedals (the wiring takes up some room too) due to weight and not getting to use bass effects hardly at all during a set. I’ve been toying with the idea of building a second, much smaller board that would be a good bare-bones setup for most shows that would be easy to move around and keeping my main board with all my cool, barely-get-to-use-them effects all together for gigs where I can use them.

For those of you who have both a main board and a smaller board, how did you decide what went on it? Was it the exact same effects as your main board or did you experiment with cheap/pricier pedals?

JimmyM likes this.
  2. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Yes. My main board is a PT2 with a Synth 9, two different octave pedals, dirt, chorus, amp modeling, etc.

My small board is a Valeton Dapper Bass and Joyo Ironman Orange Juice. I use the smaller one much more often.

Nunovsky and TheBear like this.
  3. Kevan Campbell

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What is it about the smaller board that makes you use it more? Pedal selection, convenience of transport...?

4. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    In a way. I put together a PT2 for my band and I only put on there what I really, really need. And it's still kind of a burden.

All the new fun stuff rotates through on a board at home. The rest live on shelves until needed. The problem is that the home board doesn't have stuff nicely velcro'd and zip tied so it's kind of a mess.
    ... Which makes me think I need *another* PT2 to organize the Fun Board. It never ends.

Oh, I should add: I only have one true duplicate, I have an OC-2 on both. The others are various versions of compressor, fuzz, modulation, etc.

TheBear likes this.
  5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yes.

I have a:
    Main board (PT Metro 24)
    Big board (PT1)
    Limited space board (nano)
    When I'm lazy
    When I'm bored
    Etc.

I'm in the midst of building a new, smaller main board on a Metro 16. It'll have a few duplicates and substitutions so I'll use it as my limited space/fly/lazy board in the end

TheBear likes this.
  6. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    It fits in my gig bag.

TheBear likes this.
  7. On heck yes. My small board is a Mooer Sweeper - Hjart Muller Lo|Fat - Zoom B2.1u that goes to some gigs and practices. My larger board is for more variety in the drive department.

TheBear likes this.
  8. Kevan Campbell

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Dang, that’s quite a lot of options for boards and pedals! Did you case them all out?

9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Sort of.

My band plays a whole bunch of different venues. Some have a ton of room and some have next to nothing.

The PT1 is basically too much for me to want to bother. I love tons of pedals, but it's not practical for most of my gigs.

The Nano is too small more all of my necessities. I mean, I can get by with nothing but it's not my preference. However it's really convenient walking in with just a gig bag and a bass cab, especially to outdoor festival gigs. I had backline amps, but I still wanted "my" tone, so I used my Noble DI going into the board. I had a tuner, Keeley Bassist, and the Noble on it. Perfect!

The Metro 24 is is size and shape I like. I hate two rows of pedals because I don't like to step over stuff, so longer is better. It's deep enough to fit all different shapes and sizes of pedals too.

The Metro 16 idea is basically taking the 24 and the Nano and combining them. Super small, but just big enough for what I need. I'm planning on: wireless, tuner, octave, dirt, comp, Noble DI.

TheBear likes this.
  10. Essentials board with (preamp/DI, EQ, Tuner, comp, space for an extra fun pedal (usually an MFX)
    Fun board Dirt, modulation, synth, noisemakers etc...

The Essentials board has an FX loop that the Fun board plugs into. Not in a band now, so I could potentially have just one big board, but I'm slowly putting together another board for extras, probably regroup all the dirt onto one board... Three Board Tao.

TheBear likes this.
  11. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Oh Yeah! No way I'm dragging my big board around anymore (didn't mind until commercial flying.went downhill a decade ago). I have a PT Mini with pretty much anything I "need". My big board is relegated to ground touring and studio use. Life is MUCH easier this way! I'm in Indonesia right now for a show and am thankful for a tinyb pedalboard. Fits in my suitcase so I dont have to schlep through security and looooong international terminals.

TheBear likes this.
  12. I run two different boards. Got a big one if for some reason I need a bunch of FX. And I got a small board for most of the gigs I do. I love the mini pedals that have come out the last few years. TC electronics mini pedals are awesome for what they are.

TheBear likes this.
  13. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Is anyone lazy enough when it comes to setting up boards to have duplicate pedals on your main board and bare essentials board so you don't have to swap pedals between the two? I've been considering doing this.

TheBear likes this.
  14. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I've been trying to go that direction, though my big board is really a small board in itself and I have a micro board as my fly rig. I have also been looking at the trace elliot transit b, built in preamp, drive compression and tuner. Looks like it could be interesting but would like to demo one before deciding. The drive quality would have a lot to do with wheather I buy it or not.

TheBear likes this.
  15. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    I can relate so much. I hate moving things once they're set, so I'm thinking of getting a nano with just the essentials, which would contain 3 duplicates from my stuffed PT jr.

TheBear and Plectrum72 like this.
  16. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    Yeah...main board with dirt and modulation, then a mini board with just dirt and a compressor. I love them both but mostly gig with the dirt board.

TheBear likes this.
  17. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    E40F5778-5B7E-40F1-A51A-4E7EBD6D6230. Yep. Pulled these off of my big board to make a scaled down version for smaller gigs. Replacing them with similar pedals from different brands.

TheBear and Tommybro like this.
  18. My fly rig is at the moment a Valeton Bass Dapper, a Mooer bass thunderballs, and a Boss tuner. Along with a headless bass this all fits into a "tactical rifle case".
    My other board is pretty much Boss/MXR, which I configure as needed.
    Even though I don't really gig a great deal anymore, I have a few old Boss and Roland effects that I would like to marry up with a Fender Sub-lime

TheBear likes this.
  19. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    I have my big board which was created for my original band. It is almost entirely midi controllable, so it is awesome when I have written the sounds and programmed the changes. However till that point it is not flexible on the fly.

I Also have a smaller synth style board which I use for cover gigs (but even this seems too big for what I really use)

I have however just created my essentials board. It consists of a tuner, octave pedal and dirt/di. This all fits in my bass case and is such a great investment.

TheBear likes this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I bring the absolute minimum pedals I would need on a fly date. If I think I'll only need overdrive, that's all I bring. Everything is a case by case basis, though. Like in January I have a fly date where I'll have to play upright, so I'll need my 6 Band EQ in case they give me a piece of crap, and I'll need my VT Deluxe to give me channel switching, a clean and two dirty sounds, speaker simulation and DI. Throw some rechargeable batteries in them and I could get away without even running a power supply. Probably will leave the octaver at home for that one.

TheBear likes this.