Anyone have business cards they pass out?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by cgworkman, Apr 27, 2005.

1. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Anyone have business cards they pass out for your band or for playing bass? Like session work, etc?

If so, care to post your card? I'm looking for inspiration for my own cards.

Thanks in advance!
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, I have business cards, but I don't know how to post it.
  3. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I do allot of studio work - and I've gotten tired of telling everyone my info or having to write it down, etc. So I had the perfect idea: Business Cards.

I'd still like to see some ideas though...

Here's a rough draft. About 10 minutes of work.

4. We have a business card. It is very handy when you are trying to get gigs and make contact with business owners. We had ours done on You can get 1000 cards (with very good quality to boot) for about $40, and they ship to you in less than one business week.

Below is our business card (assuming the attachment worked. It's came out slightly blurry in the scan, but you get the general idea. Also, the lines behind the text are because we went with a textured paper for the business card (which is kind of neat actually).

Attached Files:

5. Yeah we do. It's nothing fancy though, just the logo with the website underneath it all on a bog-standard white card
  6. jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I have been using business cards for a couple of years now. I go to and have 'em made online. You can get a basic design done for FREE, or get as elaborate as you want. I also have a demo CD that has all my contact info on it as well. I give that out, too. (My demo mp3 is also on my website). Can't say that any of this has really done anything more for 'business' than going to jam sessions and meeting other musicians at gigs, though. But, all helps.
  7. Here's ours:

Every show we play, there's a couple on every table, at every drink counter, and littering the stage. Cheapest form of easy promotion out there. It also stands out in a wallet or purse, which is nice.

This is the standard 'ole business card with a full bleed.
  8. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    We used to print them ourselves using card stock from Office Depot or wheverever we found it cheap. On the back we would put the next month or so's dates on it. That encouraged us to get them out to people and aleviated the need to check my calendar when asked where we are playing next week (I am usually doing well to remember where I am playing tomorrow off the top of my head).
  9. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Yes, I have one for a cover band I work with and another for my job as a guitar&bass tech.

10. rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    We print our own as well. I never thought of putting our schedule on the back ... great idea. Our cards have our logo and website address on them.
  11. We have cards to hand out if someone wants info about
    booking. But what we usually do more regularly is have a
    stack of schedules on the edge of the stage. That way
    people can see if the date they are interested in is already
    taken, and where we're playing in the future.

The schedule has all our contact info on the bottom:
    phone number, website, email, etc.
    It also has our logo, a band photo, and a little paragraph
    promoting the band.

These are really handy, and cheap. Black and white, printed
    at home, and copied inexpensively. It's a great way to get
    out and talk to people at a show. Grab a small stack inbetween
    sets, and wander around asking people if they got their schedule
    or not yet. Offer to give them one, and it makes them feel
    good to get to talk to "the band" instead of having the band
    leave the stage, go to the dressing room, and show up again
    a half hour later to play. This is an easy way to help break
    down that "barrier". I've found people very receptive to this
    approach. And I think it helps the band's image to be more
  12. form52

Mar 17, 2005
    I started using business cards about two years ago.
    I like that you can get the card stock at places like Staples and Office Depot (even Walmart has them now I think!) that have clean edges rather than perferated(sp?).

I couldn't count how many times they've come in handy.
    Whether it's at shows, stores (music or otherwise) or just out and about you never know who you may run into that would be a great person to get know for one reason or another.

I have them for my main, original project, and individually as a bassist, available for show's, recording and teaching.
    Though I need to change that. I don't really teach that much anymore. I just don't have enough time now.
  13. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I hired someone to do my business cards for me. I tried some do-it-yourself Avery cards, but they came out too cheesy for my tastes.

Check out Cycline3. $170 gets you 1000 cards. Not exactly pocket change, but Sean (of Cycline3) puts a lot of thought into his work and will definitely make you happy.

14. I got my band's first batch from Mail Boxes Etc - pretty good quality but very expensive compared to Staples which is where I'll go next time after a bit of shopping around. I'm waiting to get my bass/sound tech for hire website built before I get any new ones printed.

For my bands' cards, we just had:
    - Band logo at top, web address below it
    - Members names and roles in band on the left column
    - contact info for booking etc on the right column.

We also put the next date playing on the back of the card when scattering them around clubs we played.

I also totally agree that mingling with the crowd in between sets makes a huge impression on the crowd if you're in a pub type band - we got huge credibility with many patrons because our band leader was so good at talking to anyone about anything in the bars, and spouting off little known pieces of music history to them about stuff we were playing.
  15. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Well I had some cards printed up at Staples. $20 for 1000 cards!

I pretty satisfied with the finished product. They have the raised wax lettering and everything.

Check 'em out:

16. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    sure do. You can't expect people to remember the name of your band, let alone your website - so we always left business cards on the tables and near the door, along with a flyer. It helped to get people to our website - and the next show after
  17. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Yes, absolutely. And I always have a few with me, and in the car, and in my gigbags.

IMO, it's more professional than scribbling something on a piece of paper. If you're handing them out, be sure to ask for others in return. Networking is an amazing thing.

I'll scan and post later, but the font and graphics match my website. I hired a local graphic designer to come up with a logo for my business. Waaaay better than trying to do it myself. Plus it becomes a business expense.
  18. I don't make business cards, but that's not really a bad idea. What I do is make small stickers, maybe slightly larger than a business card. Here's an example of the ones we handed out at our last show:

The sticker element seems to add a bit of "cool" factor to them that business cards don't have. They work well at transforming normal T-shirts into band shirts too :)
  19. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I just handed out one today. It helps you appear more legit and makes you easier to get ahold of.

I have the website in big letters and our logo. Name, #, email and duties.

I really like the gig date idea.
  20. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I just got a box of a 1000 - I've been handing them out like crazy and have had several calls already. This was the best $20 I've spent in a while. :bassist: