Anyone have Dave Grossman's 7-string chord charts?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, May 13, 2002.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    They are no longer able to be downloaded from his site, so I was wondering if there was anywhere else they could be downloaded from. I'm getting a Conklin GT-7 within the week, and they would be a big help. Thanks.
  2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Yes. I was excited when I found them, but they turned out to be not that useful. Many of them have notes clustered closely together which works well for guitar but not so great for bass. Bass chords need the low note sparated from all the others by at least a fifth, and more is better. I've found the best-sounding ones leave at least one string unplayed between the bass note and the rest of the chord tones.

Try this link for a freebie program:

The free version at the website lets you pint whatever you can do in a single session at the site; I assume the $7.00 purchase price allows you to save the chords you want on your hard drive.

I have also bought a program called Chord Wizard, a fairly cool program which allows you to write your own 7-string chords, and even plays them for you! I still haven't gotten far enough into it, but you can keep in touch with me through PM or email. Tell me what style you play, and maybe I can help you put some stuff together. Maybe even work out a whole song. Frankly, I could use that just to get more into the program myself! I could print out sheets and scan 'em to email 'em to you.

Email me back!