Anyone have experience/Epiphone EBM 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by apcbassist, Nov 17, 2020.

1. apcbassist

apcbassist

Feb 16, 2012
    Hi all, unique looking bass I believe these were made by Samick in the 90’s? Model is Epiphone EBM-5. Reverse PJ setup, Active preamp, thin neck for a 5 string. I haven’t seen too many posts about them if anyone has any first hand experience they would like to share I would appreciate it. I found one that is pretty good looking with good frets, made in 93. Aside from a scratchy pot. I want to pick it up, unless my money is better spent elsewhere..? Pretty unique compared to the current market. Seller asking $350.

0730B43A-94DD-4FF1-A2D4-816AC5833FEC.jpeg
    0DFBFB8D-EB6F-49D3-AF93-76A0E4AD58EF.jpeg

caug and HaphAsSard like this.
  2. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Those were awesome basses back in there day. Going off of memory, the basses were only $299.99 brand new. Back then Epiphone was making some very good basses and crazy affordable prices. They made 2 Epiphone Accubasses that were their versions of both a Fender P bass and a Fender J bass. Brand new they were only $199.99 but had string through bodies, matching headstocks and were amazing quality. In fact, my first new bass was an all black with maple fretboard Epiphone by Gibson Accubass that was the P bass version. About 2 years ago I found 2 that were identical to my first one. They were both in amazing shape and for nostalgia sake, I bought both.

With the bass in question that you are looking at, I say go for it. Those basses had the quality and features that Epiphone could have sold them for double their price and the basses still would have been far better than almost every other bass in the $400.00 to $600.00 price range from the late 80’s to mid 90’s.

3. apcbassist

apcbassist

Feb 16, 2012
    I’ve haven’t read anything that would convince me not to purchase this EBM other then the old electronics but apparently they are a direct drop in for standard pj sets which is a plus. For the right price, we’ll see.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022