Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have experience w/ EMG HZ pick ups on Spector N2000?s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfab333, Sep 13, 2002.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I was curious if anyone has a Spector N2000 with EMG HZ pick ups and the active treble/bass preamp. How are the lows, mids, and highs? are the lows fat or thin? are the mids scooped out or punchy with a growl? are the highs brittle and harsh or smooth and refined?

The reason that I'm asking is that I just noticed that Spector came out with a 5 string semi hollow body bass. It's bassically a semi hollow N2000 model with an F hole on the upper body. It has one EMG HZ pick up. I'm trying to figure out what the tone might like.

Any comments are appreciated. Here's the link to a picture of the 4 string version at Bass NW.

http://www.bassnw.com/New Standard Basses/spector_2000Q4PFL_amberburst.htm

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've got a REX2000/5 with the EMG Hzs and EMG pre-amp!

Basically the same bass, but different body shape.
    I find the pickups very nice and meaty, very warm, but you can add a lot of top to them!!! Very versatile tone adjustment. Probably about 80-90% of the adjustment available on the Czech models (I've got 2 of them as well!)

You in the market for one????

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  4. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I just bought a ns2000q5(the same color as above) ... I find the lows to be a bit thin .. my amp isn't all that big though 1x15 400w. I'm thinking maybe a better model of emg's might be a consideration. But I still love it ;)

5. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    well, might i add, the NS2000 series is chambered, similar to the way a double bass is. the semi hollow body is designed to deliver a "thud" with not much sustain at all, again, similar to a double bass. for most people, this sound is an acquired taste.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Stop Drop,

just what I'm kind-a looking for. This may sound great with flat wounds! It might also work well for a James Jamerson sound, depending on the frequency response of the pick ups and the preamp.

I'd still like to hear more opinions on these EMG HZs.

7. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    the HZ's are passive. it is the best passive pickup available. dual-coil. low noise and plenty of output. the CS design delivers plenty of punch and fullness, along with added brightness for a better defined tone.
    go here for specs: http://www.emgpickups.com/HZFLASH 1.html

8. Tried a few spectors with the EMG-HZs (not the ones with the f-hole that you're referring to) at the local Mars and IMO, they sounded a little brittle and harsh - nothing like the regular EMGs. YMMV.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks Rodan,

that's the kind of comments I'm looking for. The semi hollow NS2000 retails for $1,099 and MF sells them for $699. So, given the price, I don't expect them to sound like an MTD, Fodera, F Bass, or Alembic. But I'm just asking about their tone, cause sometimes a cheap bass comes along that sounds decent in certain applications.

I'm wondering if the tone that you heard could have possibly been partially due to the amp? do you remember what kind of amp it was? on the other have, it could have truly been the bass.

10. I played them through an SWR Super Redhead, which possibly could have contributed to the sound I heard. Like you said, for the price it might be a good deal. Hopefully some other people might chime in and give you their experiences with these. The more opiniones on these pickups, the better idea you will have on their sound.

One thing I noticed is the top end is very bright. In fact, if you turn up the treble, they can sound a little hissy. Obviously, this is not exclusive to these pickups - even my Stingray 5's pickups sound a bit hissy with the treble turned all the way up. I just felt the HZ's were lacking a bit on the low end front.

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Lack of lows would be a concern. We can always turn the treble down if it's too brittle. However, if a bass doesn't have enough lows to begin with, that could be a problem. I don't like to use an amp to compensate for something that's not there. Ideally, I'd like the bass to sound good by itself with the amp flat. The amp's tone controls then can be used to enhance, as opposed to trying to add lows that are not there to begin with.

Keep the comments coming, there must be other NS2000 w/ EMG HZ owners out there in TB land.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I played a couple at Washington Music Center in Maryland a few weeks back. Seemed like a well constructed bass and I don't recall the EMG's sounding harsh. Nice playability. The bass wasn't that memorable but on the plus side it didn't sound bad either. I didn't spend a great deal of time listening to it critically.

I'll try and check one out again this week.

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Brad,

The semi hollow body model is fairly new, so they might not be out in many stores as yet.

I'll look forward to your comments for either the solid or hollow body, if by chance you get to check them out.

Thanks.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I played the new semi-hollowbody. They had it at WMC. I played it through the new EBS 350 amp and the new Ampeg Portabass 210 rig. I also played a bunch of Smiths, a couple of Cirruses, a NOS Linc Luthier 5 and new PRS 5 that day;)

15. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    MIND YOU THAT THE CHAMBERED NS2000 HAS A FISHMAN PIEZO BRIDGE...THEY ARENT THAT DUMB JUST TO SLAP ONE PASSIVE PICKUP ON THERE.

16. Tyler Dupont

.... I haven't put new strings on it yet... I'll buy some on monday and let ya know what happens. :confused: :D

17. the active emg elecronics in those basses has a 4 way switch in the back cavity to change the frequency the high boost/cut operates at. try changing that if you think the treble sounds harsh.
    There could be a touch more bass boost available but it's not a problem for me. it just means i turn the bass up most of the way instead of just a little.

18. Tyler Dupont

I keep the bass knob cranked and I still want more ... do you know where I can find more info on this switch system in the back ? I checked the spector website and I guess you can't download user manuals.

19. Tyler Dupont

I checked the back cavity ... no switch.

20. I also own a Spector Rex 2000/5 - same pickups. They are not harsh not brittle to my ears, and I have plenty of lows. I play through an Eden rig.

There is no dip switch in the rear cavity of these setups - I believe people mistake if for the Czech electronics setup. This may be incorrect, but I know the Korean electronics like on mine dont have them.