1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone have experience with a 2x NEO 112 rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warpeg, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Currently, I have a GK 1001RB-II, a NEO 412, and a NEO 112. The 412 is fairly portable and always sounds amazing, but I wonder if I would be almost as happy if I just had two NEO 112's instead of the 412.

Does anyone have experience using a pair of GK NEO 112's in a rock band setting?
    • Is the volume adequate?
    • Does the tone sound good?

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Never used that setup, but played a GK MB 212 for many years in rock band settings.
    Volume and tone were never an issue.
    I think you would do well with that setup.

3. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    I ran 2x Hartke Hydrive 112's (Which are Neo magnets) with various heads in a loud rock band (2 guitars) and always had volume issues. From What I understand is the Neo magnets cant take as much heat as ceramic magnets, and if they get hot, they lose magnetic force so your volume goes down, so you then turn up, rinse/repeat. I almost cooked mine, and I dont boost the lows (I cut actually). They are fine and sound great but a 410 or 215 would do better. If the GK stuff is more sensitive, it may be OK. Or run 3 112's maybe?

I gave up on the light weight thing, it isnt like you carry your rig around all night, you load/set up/teardown once per show. A good dolly and your golden for the big cabs. You can always turn down, but it sucks when you cant turn up.

4. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Financial/Storage issues notwithstanding, keep everything, buy the other 112, and you've got every scenaio covered. :)

Omega Monkey and Porkchop2 like this.
  5. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    More of an issue with the Hartke cabs than Neo speakers. There is lightweight stuff that will play at plenty loud volumes - not all Neo-loaded cabs are created equal.

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Agreed, the thermal limitations of Neo speakers is an old wive's tale, mythology based on some early Neo speaker attempts using unsuitable Neo "alloys". This issue hasn't been a problem for more than 20 years.

7. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Yeah, why not just keep the 412 if that's working for you. It's a killer cab. You already have the single 12 if you need to play a coffee shop and not give people a heart attack when you roll THE ELIMINATOR in there.

As you said, the 412 is actually pretty portable (until/unless you hit a flight of stairs), and it gives you the freedom to really just NOT WORRY AT ALL ABOUT VOLUME. if you need more, you got it, and with just about any commonly available bass amp on the market you can about dump the full load in there and keep truckin (cuz you'll be stone deaf before you kill the cab). And on the other hand, if you DON'T need a lot of volume, you can get down pretty low, but you still have this nice wall of sound, with drivers way up by your ears.

I always prefer to have more cab than I need for any live gig rather than tempt fate. the only thing worse than miserably scraping through a gig not being able to hear yourself, is miserably scraping through a gig not being able to hear yourself, and then the next day you realize you smoked your cab by having it balls out for 4 straight hours. So the 4x12 is basically like volume and gear insurance. And with 2 1x12s you're only saving about 30 pounds on your load in, and probably adding another trip (unless you have some kind of cart, which then cuts into those 30 pounds of savings). But then not only do you have half as much power handling to work with, you lose 3 db from halving the speaker displacement, but the top of your stack is now pointing at your thighs instead of your ears. So good bye big wall of enveloping sound, even at low volumes. So now you actually have to crank up more to hear yourself, and the people in the first 20 rows and a wedge about 20 feet wide are getting MURDERED by bass.

So I would say, unless the 412 is WAY overkill for the majority of your gigs, I would probably stick with it. But if you're playing anything like rock music in anything like medium sized clubs (150-600+), I would roll with what ya got. And if you DO decide to get another 112 and try the pair, HANG ON to the 412 for a while until you see how it goes.