1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Have Experience With Aguilar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zmoney682, Apr 25, 2010.

1. zmoney682

zmoney682

Jan 20, 2010
    So I was talking to Ryan Kienle of Matchbook Romance about this bass amp company called "Aguilar", he is sponsored by them, and it looks like I may be able to hook up some sort of discount sponsorship with them too.
    I've boned up on my knowledge on the company, seems pretty much like a branch of "SVTs" but a simpler interface, which I love, I don't need the BS tone controls that are so trivial. And it also has great reviews... I can't really judge the sound, the samples on the website really don't go into depth and I haven't been able to try it at the guitar center I was at yesterday

Anyways, does anyone else have experience with this company? They sponsor some of my favorite modern bassists... so yeah lemme know what y'all think.

2. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
  3. zmoney682

zmoney682

Jan 20, 2010
    My bad dude... just seeing if anyone could give me their experience with it...

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I predict this thread sinks to page 20 of the "Amps" forum by end of this week... :p

MM

5. zmoney682

zmoney682

Jan 20, 2010
    why do you say that?

6. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Because he's ragging on you, don't worry about it.
    But seriously, Aguilar is a well known and well respected brand, especially around here, so asking if anyone has played one is sorta like asking if anyone has ever played an Ampeg. Go read those old threads for info but you will find that TBers respect them for their sound and their build quality.

7. zmoney682

zmoney682

Jan 20, 2010
    Yeah, thank you for an ACTUAL response
    I don't spend too much time here besides questions and answering the occasional thread, so I don't understand why these guys have to be so rude :p
    I was just trying to be polite just in case people weren't too familiar with aguilar...

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    internet's a cold hard place. better buck up.

;)

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I own an Aguilar AG500. Its a good amp and sounds good. However, when I ordered it (used) it got damaged in shipping. After taking it to my amp tech to get it repaired (he fixed it) he cautioned me that the amp is most likely going to be prone to over heating and the inside is very fragile.

This is my only experience with Aguilar but the sound is worth any hassles you might have down the line IMO and IME. Of course, it could be just this one design.

10. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I use to own a DB359, and like a J****** I sold it. That amp was awesome. I currently use a Carvin B1500, and I thought maybe I should upgrade so I went to a local place that had a DB750 which was pluged into a Aguilar single 15 cab, and I must say I was NOT impressed at all! I find I am not a big fan of hybrid amps, and I much prefer all tube amps that Aguilar use to make. I left the store very happy that I got my B1500 for 575.00, and did not get suckered into paying 2500.00 for an Aguilar. However I will say that this amp is know to sound quite different with other speaker combinations so maybe I didn't give it a fair chance, but I'm not about to buy new cabs at this point too.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    so i recognize rey misterio jr, but who's performing the sex act on him? ;)

12. AG500 Fragile? That's the first I've ever heard that. Aguilar isn't known for it's cost cutting. They're assembled by hand fer crissake.
    It also runs so cool it doesn't need a fan.

Did your tech get on touch with Aguilar CS? Something tells me no.

13. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The AG500 I used to own never once overheated and was tough as nails.

Any Aguilar gear I've ever owned has been excellent. I keep waiting for them to slip up and make something that is merely pretty good and it hasn't happened.

14. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::p

15. Good Company. I used a DB750, DB 680, into a DB 412 and 2 DB 112's. I am in the process of switching back to Ampeg. I just traded my 412 for an Ampeg 810 yesterday and I should be getting s SLM SVT-CL via UPS tomorrow. I just dig the all tube sound better. But Aguilar is a great company wih great gear and outstanding service. IMO

16. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Aguilar makes very good gear. It's not really SVt imitation -- more it's own thing.

If someone were to give me an unlimited budget and say "build a rig from scratch" Aguilar would get serious consideration.

17. i hate username

i hate username

Jan 9, 2006
    I hate when the first reply on any post is "should of done a search"

Seriously people f**k off with that. There is only so much you talk about bass without the same thing coming up again.

18. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    So if it's the same thing, why bring it up again? Why not at least take a look through some of the 931 threads already about Aguilar?

19. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    You're so right. I'm off to start another "best bass for metal" thread :rolleyes: