1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone have experience with Bill Lawrence Jazz pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RPercival, Jun 2, 2014.

1. RPercival

RPercival

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm looking to upgrade the pups in my Jazz Bass. I've always been a fan of Bill's buckers for guitar but haven't heard much about his Jazz pickups. For not much more I can get the Duncan Antiquity IIs which I know are awesome.

Can anyone offer some insight/opinions? Thanks.

2. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Raleigh
    I don't play well.
    I can't say I've heard them yet, but I own a set for an upcoming project. Build quality seems nice, pole pieces are pretty precisely leveled and they arrived quickly. Mine arrived with the mounting screws loose in the same bags as the pickups, which I didn't like as they could have marred the covers, but it didn't hurt them.

The pickups are epoxy potted, which I didn't think to look into beforehand. If you're thinking of changing the covers, I'd contact Becky ahead of time. A very small bit of epoxy ran onto my covers, but it cleaned right off with my fingernail and t-shirt.

I don't think you'd lose much money if you decided to resell them after trying them out. I would give them a shot.

3. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    They are good, I have a set, very well built and excellent value. My only issue is the pole pieces - they are done for a technical reason but if you want that vintage 4 string 2 poles per string look you won't have it. Not that it matters to most... once a fella was on rooftop carpark smoking & chilling and looking a little too intently at my 1962 MGB which was parked there, he then remarked that I had a beautiful restored car but the spokes on the wire wheels were too many.... I had wire wheels but was using the 1968 72 spoke version, not the correct 1962 60 spoke version.

4. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Raleigh
    I don't play well.
    Didn't even see the difference in the pole pieces. Goes to show that you're right, most people won't notice.

5. Cirrus B Low

Cirrus B Low

Jul 20, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I don't have my new bass yet, but it will have Bill Lawrence Jazz pickups when it's finished. The builder likes Bill's pickups and the sound clips I have heard are great.

6. RPercival

RPercival

Feb 24, 2013
    It's between those and the Antiquity IIs. The pol piece thing is actually the only reason I haven't ordered them yet.

7. Cirrus B Low

Cirrus B Low

Jul 20, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'm thinking you'll never notice the pole pieces. Especially if they sound as good as most users say they do.

8. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    They do.