Anyone Have Experience With Birds?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassGod, Jun 26, 2005.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm very interested in getting a pet bird. I've been deciding between a few different species, and I think the Cockatiel has come out on top. This would be the first bird (and first 'real' pet) that I've owned, so I'm looking for more information on this type of bird.

Anything you can tell me about their behavioural traits, eating habits, their basic needs, training abilities, et cetera. I need to know just about everything, so if anyone here has experience, I'd really appreciate some advice and info. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

Graeme :bassist:
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Make sure not to keep the cage on top of a heater.

Seriously. :D
  3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    My girlfriend owns one. She'll be along shortly. :) :)
  4. No direct sun for extended periods either. Buy young. You don't want someone else's brat. Feed & water every couple of days. Handle as often as possible. You might get bit a bit (sorry) at first but keep at it. Index finger to lower chest will force them to perch on it. Treats (fruits, nuts, crackers, etc.) held in the perching hand will give them the idea that you are the provider. Mouth/lips is even better. I know, gross. I'm not saying chew it for them. Well, actually, if it's a real young bird... Don't use your free hand though in the early stages. It's not a part of you in their mind. Be VERY careful with windows & mirrors until they become used to flying around your house. Shut curtains & close doors. No ceiling fans! If you want them to emulate sounds just be repetitive, Pretty Bird, etc. They can get a wolf whistle down pretty quick. You know, like the one when you see a pretty girl? Enjoy. They're fun.
  5. oyesipms

Feb 25, 2005
    I am the infamous Dan1099's gal. I own many animals and each has thier own personalities. I own a Latino Cockatiel, a bearded dragon, ferret, and cat right now.

My cockatiel is awesome. Cockatiels are on the cheaper side of birds that are easily trainable, but I recommend getting one that is still a baby, just off of hand feeding and on regular food. This makes it easier to train and bond with. With any bird, you will need to spend a lot of time in training it. Always put fresh water in thier cage and cockatiel food is what they eat. Millet should only be given as a treat because if you give it to them often they will only eat that and not thier normal food.

I leave my bird's wings unclipped because I have my cat just in case, but I always keep the cage closed when I am not around. If you don't know how to clip wings, then a pet store will do it for you, be carfeul if you learn, because they have blood feathers and can bleed to death if you cut them wrongly.

Toys should not be bigger than the bird. Thier cages should not be placed by a vent or open window. All birds are sensitive and can catch a cold fairly quickly, thus do not play with it if you are sick.

NO MIRRORS if you want the bird to bond to you. A mirror will make them think another bird is present and it will bond to the bird in the mirror most of the time.

Birds should not be brought into the kitchen either.

Cockatiels are a dusty type of bird too, this is how they clean them selves, so if you don't like dust (it is natural for them) cockatiels are not for you.

I know way too much about different animals especially reptiles. I used to work in a perstore and I worked in the specialty department. Any other questions feel free to ask.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive owned a few parakeets (still have one) and has bird-sat a friend cocketiel (sp? too lazy) numerous times. Generally i think parakeets are boring as crap. Id get a minature parrot.
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi oye - welcome aboard. :)

Good advice, sounds like you've had some experience with our feathered friends.

The only other thing I can add to your post, is the issue of "training".

Many birds, like nothing better than to be well trained.

I used to raise hawks, when I was a kid, Now it's a little harder to do, at least here in CA.

Ferrets and weasels are illegal too, go figure. :meh:

Good post though. Please share more of your thoughts with us. :)
  8. Keep your bird away from Nickthebassist.

If that's inevitable, keep your vacuum cleaner away from Nickthebassist and your bird.

Best advice I can offer.
  9. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks for all of the great information. Any more tips/advice?

10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes, nickthebassist, when he was here, had some wise insight to offer.

As TGB has mentioned, don't vacuum their heads.

Also, don't shoot them with airsoft guns.

And if anyone ever accuses you of being cruel to your birds talk passionately about your deep concern for birds around the globe.

brad cook
  11. what happened to NTB, where did he go?
  12. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Alright, I have a quick question... how do Cockatiels (or any birds, for that matter) feel about loud music? Because I have my stereo in my bedroom, same room where the cage would be. So, are they sensitive to a lot of noise? Thanks.

13. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Also, as pets, how do cockatiels compare to lovebirds?
  14. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Im a real hit with the birds. When I put on my hairgel and swing by the discoteque I have to fight them off. Seriously.
  15. oyesipms

Feb 25, 2005
    Lovebirds are smaller. They are nice, but all the ones I have seen have not been as friendly and bond more easily to other birds at the store or breeder.

I guess loud music would depend on the individual bird. I have seen some start dancing when music is on (they bob thier heads and walk back and forth) and others do nothing. I guess it would all depend on the bird.
  16. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Actually, Amanda, your bird sits on my knee and dances when I practice my bass. Quite hilarious.
  17. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Lovebirds are cute and all, but they can also be real nasty little buggers. My uncle has an outdoor aviary with 20+ lovebirds - that's the only way I'd keep 'em.

Don't neglect your bird, I.E., I got my first cockatiel from a person that had showered it with attention at first, but eventually didn't interact with it at all. As a result of the neglect, this bird had taken to plucking its feathers out on its chest, back, and whatever it could reach.

The primary reason for getting rid of my cockatiels was the dusty smell of their cage and the messes they'd make when they were out of the cage.

Oh, and I have a cat, and one of the birds was permanently clipped...