1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone have experience with cyr guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by narud, Apr 17, 2010.

1. i need a neck made that is of a dimension warmoth or us customs doesnt offer. i came across http://www.cyrguitars.com/ and his prices are still in the warmoth/us customs range. id love the quality of a warmoth, but havent really heard much about this guy and dont really want to burn 200 bucks on a neck that wont set up with really low action because of green wood,a non true board, or bad fretwork. and since the neck would be going on a 5 string fernandes, i dont really want to spend 4-500 bucks going to michael dolan or chris stambaugh to build a neck.

anyone play this guys stuff?

2. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I haven't played one yet, but he's currently building a five string neck for me. So far, I'm impressed with his communications and helpfulness. He's answered all of my questions quickly and with great information. It seems he will go out of his way to accommodate whatever specific requirements you have.

3. how far along are you in the wait? with tb horror stories from guys like dpcustom and helms, its a little sketchy. i look forward to hearing what you think of it.

4. Steve made the neck for my one of my jazzes. I've got nothing but praise for his work. I was in a similar situation. Warmoth and USACG wanted an arm, leg, and a kidney for a bound and dot, zero fret combo. Steve had great prices and really helped me sort out the specs. Great neck and low action. The neck has been very stable. I was so pleased that I went back to Steve to build my bass VI. Next on the list is a 6 string jazz bass. So I'd say have no fear.

DSCF2478-1.
    DSCF2488-1.
    DSCF2435.

5. great info and great looking neck. thanks!

anyone else out there?

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Check out the bass Lous Johnson is playing.

7. thats a cyr? youd think if he had louis johnson as a client itd be plastered all over the website. im not seeing anything:confused:

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Maybe Louis just borrowed it for that video shoot.

9. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Their site shows a bass that they say was their first "from-scratch" build from 2003. That video is older than that. It does look very similar to some of the ones on the site.

10. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Here's a follow-up from my April comments: the neck I ordered (and paid for) is long overdue. He is still responding to my emails, which is a good sign, and has promised delivery by 12/31. We shall see....

11. I ordered a bass and neck from him. He has a day job, and the ship date slipped past his promise date. However, his communication was very good, and quality was outstanding.

12. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    11 months since original order, and still no neck delivered. The quality may be outstanding (which I may never know) but this amount of delay is unacceptable.

Not recommended.

13. I agree, that is too long. I've only dealt with him once, so maybe something has changed. Has he been communicating with you at all?

14. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Yes, he still does respond to my emails when I request a status report.

15. Sorry to hear about it. He was late on my order, but always answered emails. I even called him a couple of times. He has a day job, so the order slipped a bit.

But, 11 months is too long. Has he given you a reason why it's taking so long? His web site is still up, and appears to be still taking orders. Maybe call and ask for a refund?

16. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Last year the reason given was working a lot of hours on his job. But that was supposed to change Jan 1.

Also, I sent him a bass body to work with at the beginning of the process, and ordered from him and paid for a bridge and tuners, which he has.

17. He built me a body and neck. I used his Allparts discount to get some parts, plus sent him some parts I was going to use so he could make sure it all fit properly.

Sounds like he's got your money and your parts. Maybe call and ask for your parts back and a refund? Just getting your parts back will get you down the road toward getting something built. I'm not sure why his web site appears to be business as usual if he can't get this done in 11 months.

18. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Still waiting! Fourteen months and counting, and still no neck. This is to the point of absurdity. Avoid doing business with this guy.

19. Sorry to hear it. Has communication stopped?

20. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    No, he still responds to emails, and I expect I'll get the neck SOMEDAY.