Anyone have experience with Sovtek Heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Moongarm, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Moongarm

Apr 10, 2004
    Hello all! New poster on the forum here.

I used the search function and could not come across any information regarding Sovtek Bass heads. I was wondering if anyone had experience with a Sovtek Mig-100B "Bassov Blues Boy"?

I know this is an odd request, but I have a Sovtek Mig-50 head with a Sovtek cab for my guitar and love everything about the amp, especially the sound it has. Which is why I'd love a bass head since I'm starting to play bass more now.

Ok here's the specific questions I have.

It's only 100w. How would that hold up in club settings that can range from 100 capacity to 1000 capacity clubs. Sometimes in the smaller capacity venues they won't mic it through the PA which is where my concern lies.

What type of cabinent would be best for this head? I'm looking to build it myself for a fun to do project.

Are there any alternatives out there that are still in production that are very similar to Sovteks? The Sovtek amps are based(no pun intended) off of the 59 Bassman if I remeber correctly if that helps. I'd rather have something darn close than spend a year searching online auction sites and used music stores just to find one.

This will be my graduation from my crummy lil' 25 practice amp so I'm fairly clueless to what's on the market so any help you might be able to provide I'd greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance!

2. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    if you've got a cab with EVM 15Ls or JBL D-140s, you shouldn't have a problem being heard, or an Ampeg SVT810. My Ampeg SVT-100 is probably very close electronically to the Sovtek except mine uses 6550s and I've never had to crank it into my 1X15 or 8X10
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I dunno, you will need more power to be heard without PA. Unless you like a dirty sound. You'll have to work that amp pretty hard to get the volume you'll need.