Anyone have experience with Spector Legend 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Aug 21, 2004.

1. I ordered an ESP F255 a month ago...still hasn't shipped...goddamn I'm looking for something else instead. I was looking at this, I can only find one review for it, and its at harmony central, it got 9's all around.

2. I own a Spector Rebop 5 string, and the neck is like a tree trunk, but apart from that they are good basses.
  3. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I have never played one,
    but EVERY spector i've played played very well.
  4. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    My experience with Spectors is limited, but one thing I and others can say is that with Spectors, either you love the feel/balance or you don't. There's little middle ground. The only Spectors I've tried were 4-strings and I loved the way they balanced/felt.

But in the greater scheme of things, I'd probably go with the Spector over the ESP. Should you ever decide to sell the bass, a Spector would probably net a higher resale than an ESP due to brand name. And the Legend has a basswood body/ quilt maple top while the ESP has an agathis body. While agathis may not necessarily sound bad, it's still considered a 'budget' wood. Also, given that more TBers play Spectors than ESPs, you'll be more likely to get the help you need, should you have any issues with the Spector.

But both basses do have the EMG electronics and a 35" scale, so either should likely fit your musical needs. If you have a way of trying a Spector to see how it feels for you, do it. Some people hate the way Spectors balance/feel, and others love it.
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    do you mean that you never OWNED one? cuz...that doesn't make any sense otherwise.

6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Unless he's never played a Legend, but played a bunch of other Spector models/lines.
  7. Actually, the wings of the ESP F255 are agathis. It's a neck thru maple/walnut. The legend 5 is a bolt on, and the pickup pot only controls the balance, unlike the ESP that had a pot for both pup's voumes.

I like the J bass sound, so I'm starting to lean towards the Spector..but I haven't heard the ESP yet. From what ESP basses I HAVE heard, they seem a little one dimensional, dunno. To my ears they sound very direct, not really warm and round.

By any chance would you be able to elaborate on the "balance/feel" of a spector? I think the only one I ever held was 3 years ago when I started out, it might've been a rebop, i remember the price tag being over $500. I didn't like how close the pups were together...then again I was 100% noob material so I might actually like the pup distance now.

When I saw an ad for the Legend 5 in BG mag, I was like "holy s*** that's the one!" because I've had my eye on that JHCM model or wahtever, the J/H model that goes for around $1800. But then I went with I'm thinking of going for the Spector.

decisions decisions... :meh:
  8. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Sorry for not clarifying. When I refer to the balance and feel, it's more or less how the bass sits against your body while strapped. Some people love the way Spectors feel and balance on a strap while others don't. It's a really subjective thing. On the other hand, some folks may not like the feel of LTD basses since the large headstock can make them somewhat neck-heavy.

Like I said before, I always thought Spector basses (well, the 4-strings I've sampled at least) balanced very well and sat against my body very comfortably.

And as for sounds, the Spectors I've tried have been able to run the gamut from the warmer, fatter vintage tones to modern, super-clean, hi-fi tone.

If it were up to me, I'd totally go with the Spector over the ESP, but that's speaking from my own subjective point of view.
  9. Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm a fan of the J bass tone, so I'm starting to think about going for the spector.

Though the ESP has awesome reviews and looks badass....meh, I'll sleep on it.