Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have experience with the Manley mic pre (mono or stereo)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmanjones, Jun 16, 2002.

1. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Just curious about your thoughts on the sound quality. Was it a 'pure' tone (i.e. the absolute uncolored but warming up-from the tube- of your bass's natural sound) or did it have a little flavor to it? I've been doing research and mic pre's are like basses...everybody's got their own opinion and if you line up five pre's you'll get five different people saying each is the best and the rest suck.

2. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Thanks Vic, but I spent the morning there. That's why I was asking about them here. It's one thing to read what a manufacturer (or the most glowing reviews they decide to put on their site) has to say about their own products and another to hear what real world folks who have no biases have to say. :)

3. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Absolutly.

While I haven't any experience with any Manley pro gear I have had some very favorable experiences with VTL products. I would tend to belive 95% of their claims and discriptions. While this is not a substitute for an actual audition it seems to be a company with a history and a passion for purist recording. I think they build thier transformers by hand as well as a great deal of hand wiring.

I hope somone can post a review.