1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone have experience with the new Hartke Hydrives?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hector_G, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    I posted this in the Harke Club thread, but I'm hoping to have more exposure here.

I need your help with any ideas, opinions or comments with my issue.

What is your opinion of the new Hydrive cabinets?
    For the players that do own them, do you feel the tone or volume is a bit "choked"? (for lack of a better adjective)

I just recently purchased the Hydrive stack consisting of the 410 and 115.
    I'm powering it with a Carvin R1000. It's running bridged mono into the two 8 ohm cabs so the full 1,000 watts can be delivered into the 4 ohm load. They are daisy chained (amp>speakon cable into 4X10>speakon into 1X15)

With these two cabs and the 1,000 watt head, I was expecting a completely enormous, brutal, overpowering sound. And I'd hate to say, I'm a tad disappointed.
    The tone is great, but it just doesn't get as loud as I was expecting.

I've run the Carvin head through an Ampeg 8X10 and it was a HUGE sound. Almost drowning out two Mesa Triple Rectifier half stacks and a loud drummer.
    But with this Hartke Hydrive stack, I have to push the amp all the way to it's limits to barely be heard over the same band.

The Hydrive cabinets seem to be taking the power just fine from the amp, no farting out, but the amp just starts clipping like there's no tomorrow.

I'm assuming that because the 4X10 is sealed, that it's eating up most of the wattage.
    I find that it doesn't project sound as well as other ported cabs. Of course, it's a really tight punchy sound, but the bottom isn't as prominent.
    Even my cheap Behringer 4 ohm ported 4X10 seems to get equal lows but more volume than the entire stack, which I am quite ashamed to say, considering the amount of money I've spent on this new stack.

When playing at a show, the volume and tone is fantastic within a few feet of the stack, but walk about 15 feet away and my playing seems to disappear. Lost in the mix. With the Ampeg 8X10 I previously mentioned, the sound projected all the way to the back of the room.

Please help me understand. I've never owned equipment like this before, so I am in dire need of some knowledge.

Any opinions or ideas would very much be GREATLY appreciated.

2. zepbassist

zepbassist

Feb 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Commercial User
    I'm new to playing bass, and I need a great set up at an affordable price, and the deal Hartke had when you buy the Hydrive 410 you get the HA3500 amp free, so I couldn't pass it up. I play in the Nations #1 Led Zeppelin Tribute, KASHMIR www.kashmirrocks.com

This cabinet has more low end and punchyness than alot of cabs in it's class. I use a Fender Jazz, and the combination of my volume/ tone knobs on the bass , and the 3 position Tweeter switch on the Hydrive, allow for a ton of different tonal possibilities.

I've been getting nothing but positive feed back from my band mates, and sound guys when then hear my rig.

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    *bump*

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Can you try it with another amp? Some amps just don't mate with certain cabs. I had that issue with a SWR Goliath Jr. It sounded huge using an amp of LOWER wattage. When I tried it with an amp pushing 330w, I had the amp at 12 oclock and it sounded choked and compressed. Try it with them using the amp in stereo (lower wattage) and see what happens. I think you may just be giving them too much wattage even though their ratings say they can handle it.

5. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    I'll try that set up. The Carvin R1000 when running stereo will only put out 250 watts per channel at 8 ohms. That's a huge step down, but hey, it won't hurt seeing what that sounds like.

6. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I use a brand new Hartke half-stack for my Gospel and fusion gigs. I run the HyDrive 4/10 with the LH1000 head, the power is crazy and LOUD, they are definitely made for each other, I've also ran a GK 700RB with it and get a slightly differnt sound but the same kick and output. My suggestion would be to try different head combinations to get that "perfect" blend.:)

img1240416109207-1.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    All things being more or less equal an 8x10, or two 4x10s, will go louder than a 4x10/1x15. If your 8x10 was vented and the Hartke is sealed things aren't equal, sealed cabs have less output capability in the low end than vented. Either factor would explain the difference, let alone both.

8. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    i think ampeg 810s are sealed too btw.
    4 ohm cabs are louder i think

9. I now own 410 and 115 hydrive cabs and they are similar in tone to the XL's which I traded for them after 15 years sterling service. They have the Hartke tone but with a slightly different voice, deeper and with more top courtesy of the defeatable tweeters. I have kept my old 3500 head because it sounded as loud and to my ears better than the LH1K. I will probably look into the Kilo when it launches in a few months time because I have read that Hartke amps and cabs work best with each other (and it's got 3 tubes!!). I also have a 115c combo which is a brilliant solution for small/medium indoor gigs. This combo convinced me to go the Hydrive route for my main rig.