Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have Gradually Going Tornado by Bruford?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blackbird, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'd like to get some opinions. How great is this album?

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've been casually looking for it for years (for Jeff Berlin, of course). I suppose I could order it. If you're into Jeff Berlin it's supposed to be a great album.

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've always liked that album a lot.

I saw Bruford in concert when they had 'The Unknown John Clarke' on guitar in 1980 (he plays on "Gradually Going Tornado").
    When I went to that show, I hadn't yet heard any of their music (I hadn't even heard of this band before). I merely went because I knew of Bruford from YES and liked his playing. Also I had just switched over to playing bass (from guitar), so you could imagine my being totally blown away by Berlin. I was, and it was actually that concert which turned me into a 'fusionhead'.

We (my jamming buddies and I) ended up learning "The Sliding Floor" and had fun playing that one. Ahhh....the good 'ole days..

I even still have it on vinyl.
    Some might find it dated but I still like it, though I haven't heard it in a while.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I used to have it but sold it on Ebay. I wasn't listening to it much and was unemployed and liquidating many things at the time. It's not a bad album though and Berlin does smoke.

brad cook

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    One of my favorite Bruford albums... I have it on vinyl.

6. I have always liked this disk. Haven't heard it in years but it is a great disk.
    Berlin, Bruford, Prog Rock, you probally already know what it sounds like.:D

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I like it a lot...Jeff smokes on it! I have it on C.D. but like Brad I still have my vinyl copy around, I'm just to lazy to turn records over anymore:D

8. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Have this album on vinyl as well... interesting tunes.

Personally, IMHO, there is much better;

"Earthworks" - E.G. 87'

-- it doesn't have Berlin on bass, but instead, the acoustic work of Mick Hutton (w/an interesting tune featuring Bruford on "whirled instruments")

"Feels Good to Me" - E.G. 77'

--Jeff Berlin on bass, early wicked guitar work of Allan Holdsworth, and vocals rivaling that of Kate Bush, from Annette Peacock

"One of a Kind" - E.G. 79'

-- the usual suspects, but probably one of his, (Bruford's) best solo releases

..and just in case you missed it; Percy Jones w/ Brand X "Product" - Passport 79' (featuring a young, with hair and everything, Phil Collins on the kit!!)

My nickel in the pot,
    michael s.
    BTW: not to make anyone jealous - the latter two Bruford albums are autographed copies..

9. The flaw I found with GGT is the lack of Allan Holdsworth. It is a great disk but Allan worked very well with Bill in the past.
    Seeing that GGT is probally at cut out bin disk at this point there is no doubt that is a must have.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree 100%.
    I dug this out & looked at it...Berlin has that "I'm gonna kick yer ass" look in the cd's liner notes.

FWIW-
    Road Games, the Holdsworth EP w/ Berlin & Chad Wackerman, would also be a good pickup.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Isn't that just his normal look?

brad cook