Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have heat issues with QSC RMX amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by monkfill, Aug 6, 2003.

1. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I'm considering an RMX amp, but I've been told that heat can be an issue, especially compared to something like the PLX series.

I was told that the best way to install the RMX would be to put it at the top of the rack, so that heat would not radiate through other components in the rack, and that I should even leave an open space above. This is not really feasible given my 4-space SKB case.

What I would like to do is put the RMX on the bottom, an SWR Grand Prix right on top of it, and a power conditioner in the top space, filling the rack. Will the heat from the amp cause problems?

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That shouldn't be a problem, as long as the front and back of the rack are open. The amp does nearly all of its cooling by forced air, so it doesn't need empty space above or below.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    mine tends to stay cool as a cucumber even on larger gigs where i have to turn it up... and mine sits in the bottom of my rack with the spaces above it filled. do as mr. lee recommends and keep the pathway of the fan open and you'll be fine.

:bassist:

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you know, i'm not kidding about this either, most of the time during hot gigs to cool off, i stick my head in front of my rmx1450 (bridged with a 8phm cab) - it blows nice and cool.

i have never had prob's with QSC

:)

5. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Good.

I was trying to decide between the RMX1850HD and the PLX1602. My two issues were weight and heat, and it seems that heat is not an issue after all.

Now it comes down to whether the weight savings is worth the price. The difference in wattage I think is negligible for the most part (although that does goes in favor of the RMX)