1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone have images of Anthony Jackson's "Career Girl" Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Mar 9, 2008.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    It's a 70s stripped/oiled ash Jazz body, no pg, rosewood dot neck, gold hardware -Badass II, Grover Titan tuners, control plate- and (I think) Spector knobs. Thanks in advance!

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Here are a few, found in a big thread here called "Anthony Jackson":

f992.
    AJ11.
    AJ08.
    AJ09.
    AJ10.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Anybody know what the body wood is on that Jazz? If it's ash, it's the most highly figured ash I can remember seeing.

4. That is ash and normal looking ash at that.

lowsound

Pbassmanca, bholder and MobileHolmes like this.
  5. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The oil finish (or is that crud?) makes the grain stand out.

This image is intriguing, that appears to be a wooden nut:

AJ10.

6. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    x2 nice looking but nothing exotic as far as ash goes.

7. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I would think that its MoJo.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That bass is just gorgeous. I had never noticed the Spector knobs but they look very classy. I love Spector knobs, I think they look ace!

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I believe that's a Percision Neck on it?

10. IIRC he had a walnut nut in there at one point.

11. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Zomby, thanks so much! These are exactly the images I'd seen once before, but had to register on a site I couldn't find again to see them.

From the second image, it looks to me to be a Jazz, but I could be wrong.

12. '75 Jazz body and a '73 Precision neck

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree.

14. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Yeah, it does look like ash but it just seemed to me that the color contrast was pretty strong.

15. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Looks like it was stained and then sanded back before oiling or whatever that finish is.

16. See Anthony in action with this bass on the DVD of Grover Washington Jnr Live in concert, June 1981 at the Schubert theatre in Philly.

Ever bass player, regardless of genre, should watch this concert as it is virtual clinic on how to play Soul/R&B bass.

Anthony's grooves are compelling, particularly on Grover's signature tune 'Mr Magic'.

Watching this concert in the early 80's was a 'lightbulb' moment for me as an upcoming player.

From what I could gather from the vision of the concert...Anthony was playing through an AMPEG rig (probably the house amp) and the resulting tone is a perfect example of how good a fender bass can sound through a big tube amp .

17. His tone is AWESOME at that gig - check YouTube for clips. For ME, this is his best tone along with the Chaka stuff on her first few solo albums.....I much prefer his old Jazz tone to the Fodera.....

Jamie

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    One day I plan to get hold of my own version of the Career Girl. I'm not sure I'll be able to get the Grover Titan tuners or a gold Badass bridge. And I won't have a Precision neck on it, but other than that, I will put gold hardware on it and get it made up like that. I just love that bass, and everyone needs a good jazz!

19. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    wow...his left hand reach is CRAZY!!!

20. +1 Every time I see that picture, my hand starts to hurt. That looks like he's playing a 13th stretch in a single position!