Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have info. on...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Feb 6, 2006.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    the new Frantone box?

Frantone Bassweet?

I had a Wooly Mammoth. I was totally floored at first, then as time went on I grew to dislike it. Although it looked AWSOME.

Now I have a PE Depth Charge that I love!

So how does the Bassweet measure up to the DC? If at all? For anyone who has tried it, what would you compare it to? I would part with my DC for nothing, but it might be nice to have another color in the pocket. Is it worth that $205?

Just trying to get all my distorted needs out of the way.

Thank you all

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I just got my Bassweet in the mail a few days ago! FWIW, I also had a Mammoth for a while, and dumped it. I've used a few other fuzz boxes, but not the Depth Charge unfortunately.

The Bassweet has about three different sounds: warm squishy fuzz, more aggressive warm squishy fuzz, and totally-fuzz-obliterated 60's guitar solo with obnoxious artifacts.

The first sound is at the "off" end of the sustain knob, like 0%.
    The second is just a hair up from the end, like 3%.
    The third sound is everything from 4% to 100% on the sustain knob.

Now, I love me some screaming and crunching sounds, but I have to say the majority of the tones in this box are not enjoyable to me. The note starts off strong, but then one second later makes a sharp tonal change and becomes a buzzy sine wave more or less. It would be fine for somebody who wishes they could hunch over their feedback-producing boxes just like the emo lead guitarist, and doesn't care if it sounds like a chicken being electrocuted, but not for me.

However all of that criticism does not include the 0% to 3% settings of the sustain knob! In that range is the most perfect bass fuzz I have ever heard. It is natural, smooth, full of powerful low end, and capable of a range of sounds including edgy attack, "pushed speaker", and breathing. It sounds awesome for blues, dub reggae, old-school rock, etc. Also, at those settings the note has plenty of sustain with a more natural decay, and doesn't make too much noise between notes. It sounds to me like a 50 watt tube amp pushing a couple of 18" speakers (that's a compliment).

So on the one hand, I cannot recommend the Bassweet as an over-the-top stoner-metal fuzz (for instance) because the over-the -top sounds it makes are too harsh and artificial-sounding (to me). On the other hand I am totally in love with its dialed-back "quiet storm" sounds, as they kick the ass of every other nasal and fizzy fuzzbox that tries to step up. This thing adds a huge amount of low end.

Also, FWIW, the volume output of this pedal is insane. To keep the level of the effect nearly even to the bypassed level, I have to keep the volume knob dialed back to about 8:00 (10%). If you want, you can use it as an insane gain booster.

I plan on asking Frantone if they can customize mine to emphasize the range of sounds I like from this box. But even if they can't, I'll keep it for the Quiet Storm.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Thanks!

The area that you've found that you life, can you compare it to any recorded bass fuzz tones? Just so I can get an accurate idea.

Like a TOOL fuzztone or a Failure fuzztone or a early 90's.... etc?

Thanks.

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I'm thinking Keith Hudson (dub reggae), early Black Sabbath, or ZZ Top. (Ooh, update: totally Curtis Mayfield! "Don't worry, if there's a hell below", "Beautiful brother of mine")

5. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    maybe they built it for people that own the low -tone already and this kind of takes off from where the low- tone finishes

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Mia (the Frantone woman) sent me an e-mail and said that they pretty much made it for the bass players who wanted a bigger, badder Big Muff. Guys/Gals who wanted smooth passges. However, she did say that it could bring out some noise you didn't know you had (hum and what have you). Lastly, she said it could be rather subtle... well as subtle as a fuzz can be, but it can also grind pretty good too.

I guess I will just have to take a trial with it. Shame I live in the middle of nowhere, otherwise I would go to a store or perhaps another friendly TB'er.

Thanks fellows for the help.

7. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    dont worry mate i have the same problem! they only sell Boss and MXR in paris:(

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Then you know how I feel. But at least you're in Paris. I'm in So. Ohio.

:crying:

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    haha oh man i feel bad for you but i ahd to laugh at that psot also. sorry man that bites. but at least you're in teh us where you ahve a nice selection of domestic and international effects makers.

bongomania, any chance you've also used a LoTone? your description of the usable sounds of the Bassweet sounds like what i'm looking for though, warm, dub-worthy fuzz, and i only need that one sound.

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I haven't tried the Lo-Tone, but I think I should. There weren't any shops stocking both of them near me, so I made my choice just based on sound clips on the Frantone site (for the Bassweet, I was going off a clip for the "regular" Sweet). Plus I was feeling impulsive. :) I do think, from those clips and from what I've read, that the Lo-Tone might be slightly grittier-sounding.