Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have issues with Warmoth Showcase products?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Feb 20, 2005.

1. I'm a big fan of Warmoth products but the couple of Showcase products (items in stock) that I've purchased had some problems. Not major enough to warrant returning them but they did result in more time and expense.

I bought a walnut Jazz body off the Showcase and the truss rod channel was shorter than it should have been. I couldn't get my offset screwdriver in there to adjust the truss rod. I wound up having to buy a screwdriver with a thinner shaft to make adjustments. My korina body that Warmoth built for me was fine.

I also bought a fretless neck from the Showcase. The nut slot had residue of some kind in it, glue possibly, and the slot itself was quite shallow. I had to file the groove to fit a nut blank into it. The 2 other necks I had Warmoth build for me had no issues, in fact the nut grooves were so cleanly cut that a nut fit in nice and snug without any glue.

I emailed Warmoth and they said the quality of Showcase items is as good as anything else they make. I might have just been unlucky but now I'll think twice before ordering from the Showcase. Have any of you had a similar problem?

2. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I know that about a year and a half ago we redesigned the truss rod rout on our bodies, making it longer for better access. Originally, we used the same rout as the one on the deluxe 5 body, whose neck does not have an extended fretboard. Only later did we realize that it was difficult to use this rout on our 4-string bodies with a standard screwdriver. So that one's because the body you got from the showcase was older than the one we made to order... That's not an excuse, but I wanted to clarifiy that we corrected the problem in new production as soon as we were aware of it. Unfortunately, any 4-string body made to order in the same time period would have had the same issue.

The nut slot residue may have been adhesive from masking tape used to keep the slot clean if the neck was finished (painted). We do use low-tack painter's tape for this, but sometimes some residue remains.

Rest assured, anything that is a second in the showcase is clearly marked as such and discounted accordingly. It doesn't do us any good to misrepresent our products when the vast majority of our business comes word-of-mouth!

3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I've bought from the showcase a few times... never had a bad experience. I bought three necks, all came in great condition, no construction problems, blemishes, etc...

I just ordered a carved dinky p body and a matching warmoth construction neck. The body was a showcase purchase. They will hopefully arrive by the end of the week??? I can't wait. The neck I just recieved this month off the showcase was a figured bubinga neck, and it is a perfect specimen. I am perusing the site daily, looking for the perfect body to match up with my Geddy Lee neck. Guess you can say that I love Warmoth parts, and so far have had nothing but good experiences with them.

Perhaps you've just had a run of bad luck.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Sorry for the hijack here, but look into an SG body with dual jazz pickups.

5. Thanks for clarifying things bwbass.

Just FYI, the neck was unpainted so I don't know where this residue came from. Apart from the nut slot issue, the neck is fine.

6. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I've gotten really nice parts through the showcase, a beautiful J width Tele bass neck and ash 50's P bass body. I'm planning another order soon.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    In the past, I've ordered many parts from the show case with no problems. One of my favorite basses I've built have been from a showcase neck and body.

[​IMG]

Warmoth makes extremely high quality products.

8. My showcase Koa Dinky P body arrived yesterday. Can't find a thing wrong with it. I tried a test fitting with the Warmoth neck I'm putting on it. The fit is outstanding!

I haven't yet decided if I'll go with gold or chrome hardware. I guess I'll have a better idea once I put the finish on.

9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have bought two J bodies (finished) from the showcase and both of these have been perfect. I wouldn't hesitate to order from there again.

10. Does anyone truly expect that a piece like this should be bolted up without any going over. I wouldn't and I personally think it's unreasonable to think that a thing as a little adhesive residue would cause me to come on TB and make a stink. Did we forget where we put the Goof-Off that day? IMO, anyone worth their salt as an "assembler" would look at these little anomalies as nothing more than things that make you go :rolleyes: not :help:

11. Thanks for the tongue lashing but if you re-read my first post it wasn't just the residue, it was the fact that I had to do some filing of the slot to fit the nut in. That plus the short truss rod channel on my showcase body, which BWbass was kind enough to explain. My other 2 Warmoth necks and body had no such issues at all. It was just in comparing the Showcase to the non-Showcase products that I couldn't help wondering if there was some difference in quality.

Other TBers post convinced me that Showcase stuff is fine, so I went ahead and ordered the koa body from the Showcase. My point in reviving this post is to show that my impressions were wrong and that Warmoth's Showcase merchandise is top quality , not to arouse your anger.

I certainly never intended to come across as "making a stink", I just wanted to compare notes with other Warmoth customers. I still think Warmoth makes a fine product.

12. STEREO

STEREO

Mar 29, 2005
    prescott,az
    In all fairness to Warmoth,nuts come in all different thicknesses.It would be difficult to know which size you are going to use.Thats why I just have them insall the nut :bassist:

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Warmoth has some beautiful finishes. :)

14. That's a great option they have. I don't think they were offering it when I made my purchases though, or at least they weren't advertising it.

15. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    In the past month I have bought a new Sadowsky Metro MS4 natural finish, no pickgauard, and a Warmoth J body with a book matched birds eye maple top that I had Warmoth finish. I can't tell the difference between the finish quality of either bass. They both are equal and excellent.

16. I haven't bought any pre-finished bodies from Warmoth but I've seen alot of nice ones. Can you post a photo of yours?

17. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Here's a couple of links to threads with prefinished Warmoth bodies:

Link to my new bass

Novus Ordo's newest bass

If you look throught the second link, post #17 has about 5 different links you should check out.

And yes, they do other colors besides green.
    :D

18. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've bought several necks and bodies from the showcase area over the last several years. They've been the same high quality that I recieve when I custom order necks and bodies. I've only had one neck that was defective (back bow) and Warmoth replaced it without hesitation at no charge.