Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have jazz standards they suggest i learn?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by nunk6, Jan 17, 2001.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    what are some common jazz standards that one should learn?

anyone know good sites where i can find any 'notation' in a sense of these? or other info?

2. You should buy what they call a 'Fake Book' that has the chord changes for a lot of jazz standards. Some that I would suggest though:

Blue Train - John Coltrane
    So What - Miles Davis
    Girl From Ipanema - Dammit, I forgot who wrote this...
    Chameleon - Herbie Hancock
    Caravan - Duke Ellington
    Straight, No Chaser - Thelonious Monk
    Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - Charles Mingus

There are MANY more, just check these out...

3. Try http://www.jajazz.com there are many books at that site, also get on the forum and ask the same question. Many fake books have changes that are different than are commonly used so having good ears helps. There is also a site for guitarist and bassist http://www.visionmusic.com this on has instruction and a play along page.

[Edited by bassdude on 01-17-2001 at 09:41 PM]

4. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    i don't think he wrote it, but the version i always play of girl from impanema is stan getz

try also manteca by dizzy
    hatian fight song by mingus
    good bait i forgot who wrote it, but it's been done by trane and diz as well as others
    you can do take 5 by brubeck (it's a less complex one, and easy to learn but still fun)
    take the a train- monk
    koko- charlie parker (but this one is kind of untouchable to say the least)
    and if you want some electric songs
    mr pastorius- marcus miller (miles davis)
    birdland- jaco
    so long mickey mouse- stanley clarke (return to forever)

just a start- if you're a really tigth player go for it, if you're not all that good yet (don't worry keep trying and you'll get there) try the easier ones liek manteca, good bait, and take 5 (however they start out easy, but they have plenty of room for challenge)

hope i was of some help

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Remember, he asked for STANDARDS(like "Satin Doll", "All The Things You Are", "Cherokee", etc)& not Jazz "Classics"("Haitian Fight Song", "So What", etc).

Personally, I wouldn't go the FAKE book route...REAL books, though, are a different thing. ;)
    In fact, Chuck Sher has only recently published a JAZZ STANDARDS REAL(LEGAL)BOOK. I think the URL is
    http://www.shermusic.com

BTW, I hadda edit myself 'cause I originally typed in "STAIN Doll"...

6. Automn leaves.

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

"The Girl from Ipanema" (Garota de Ipanema) was wriiten by Antonio Carlos Jobim with lyrics by Venicius de Maraes. Stan Getz played saxophone on one of the most popular bossa nova albums of the early sixties. Astrud Gilberto is the whispery voiced singer who helped make the song famous.

jason oldsted

8. Correct, she became a Stan Getz's lover too.

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Pantografo, Astrud Gilberto was Stan Getz' lover?? Well, she knew an excellent sax player when she heard one. But I thought she was married to Joao Gilberto. I guess the collaboration of Joao Gilberto and Stan Getz on their album of bossa nova music (which contained the song "Girl from Ipanema") was a collaboration in the fullest sense of the word. ;-)

jason oldsted

10. You are right in both of your sentences (as far as I know), Jason:

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Duke wrote "A Train."

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ....Billy Strayhorn wrote "Take The 'A' Train".

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Soundofphysics was attributing it to Monk.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...that's cool; maybe Monk DID it. Strayhorn, though, WROTE it(perhaps Elington's best known tune?).

15. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    oops sorry, i have a bad habit of attributing songs to later versions, when in fact its liek the most famous duke song ever, or at least one of- monk does a pretty sweet version though i gota say, lol.

16. soundofphysics

soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    also a lot of each of theri compisitions (strayhorn and duke) were collaborations sometimes credited to whoever had the most input.