1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone have luck with a bass cab for both bass and electric guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nosajwp, Jan 11, 2012.

1. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Assuming the amp can be adjusted to work for both, and assuming the tweeter is adjusted to taste, has anyone here had success with any bass cabs for both bass guitar and electric guitar?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sure...I love my B-15 cab for guitar, but I REALLY love my SVT 210av for guitar. And it's overkill for anything I'd ever do, but it also sounds great with my old SVT 810 from 73. Not all bass cabs sound good on guitar, but some do.

3. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    yessir...

main group I play with I split time between bass/guitar

nordy VJ4 and a epi regent going through this:

EA Micro 550 (2 Channels...BOOM)+ Bag End 15
    EAMicro_BagEndS15.

it's a very clean guitar tone for my purposes this has been an awesome setup.

4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Hartke, Fender Bassman line, & GK for certain. I think in most cases guitars can be played through bass rigs, but not the other way around.

5. Destructobot

Destructobot

Jul 22, 2008
    My EV B215-M sounds great for guitar.

6. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I play guitar through my Ampeg PF350/PF115he all the time. It sounds great! I just turn up the gain and treble and take out a bit of bass.

7. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Just about any vintage 15 will probably sound killer with guitar for most things. I used to have a Crate VC2110 which is a 15w all tube guitar combo with a 10. The 10 sounded pretty much like garbage (the tiny over stuffed cab may have had a lot to do with that), and the tone stack was a little off for my tastes, but it sounded pretty awesome through my old Carvin BW loaded 15.

Recently I've also been using a Goliath III that happens to be at the house to beef up my little Fender Vibro Champ XD. The VCXD is just a little 5w all tube amp with some different voicings and some cheap but decent digital fx run through an 8" speaker. So I unplug the 8 and use the 4x10 with the tweeter turned pretty low. Doesn't sound perfect, but not bad at all.

8. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I really dig the vintage Ampeg SVT 810's for guitar. KILLER. I loaded a Marshall 410 with the same drivers and it kills, on a smaller scale. My room mates and jam buddies adore it for six string.

9. First thought was any good cab with an EVM15. Have also enjoyed vintage SVT810 squareback and B15. Had some success with an old Sound City 2X15, Eminence loaded I think. Though a guitar driver, EVM12-L speakers can work well for gtr and 4 string in a big sealed cab.

10. My PJB cabs seem to sound fine for guitar.

11. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    I have a sonic sealed cab that I have 2* 12" Gauss speakers in. Sounds pretty amazing on both bass and guitar.

12. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Cool, thanks guys, keep the ideas coming. I've heard that a Schroeder 1212L does well for bass and guitar (with the tweeter turned down a bit) too.

13. dregsfan

dregsfan Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas
    I was thinking about the possibility of using this style of cab at home for playing both bass and guitar at low volume with the right driver(?). Thinking an open back cab would have a wide dispersion (full sound) up close to a wall. Which would be nice for low volume. Seems I remember a TB'er once saying he played thru a twin reverb at low volume and it sounded real good. Any opinions?

By the way, I came across this builder on a guitar forum and lots of positive reviews on his work. It's Mather Amp Cabinets in Nashville.

Attached Files: