1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone have one of the new ATK750's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexit, Mar 1, 2008.

1. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    That new ATK750QM looks killer. Can anyone comment on the controls? How does that 3-way switch work? And what's the nut width...is it 1 3/4 like a p-bass or 1 5/8 like a stingray? At 699 it might have to become my poor-mans ray HS. ;)

2. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    cool, makes for a very versatile setup then..gas

3. Could always keep an eye out for the older 400s, good basses and dirt cheap used :)

4. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I want one very badly. When the tax return comes we'll see if I can get one :)

5. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    Does anyone know the nut width? Can't find it anywhere. I like the new site, but it's annoying that ibanez still doesn't post basic specs.

6. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    The 4 banger ATKs have a nut width of 1 11/16". Click on the "ATK" in my signature to see my ATK750.

7. I got the ATK750K Koa top the day Ibanez anounced it! It's freakin sweet! Worth every penny!

8. swankfrank6

swankfrank6

Feb 5, 2008
    good info on the pickup selector. i've been wanted that bass ever since i saw it. funny how they have a pickup just for noise cancellation

9. The nut width as stated on the USA site is 42.5mm:
    http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-ATK750QM

You can also check the different sites for different countries for specs and such. Some sites have specs or features that others don't. I'd like to get my hands on this UK/German market ATK which isn't available here in the USA:
    [​IMG]

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It's funny...that PDF file above has information about the switching/controls that didn't come with my actual ATK750. :meh:

If you want to learn about these instruments I suggest you (wait for it!)...use the search function.

There are *huge* threads on the ATK basses.

There were deep blowouts earlier this year on the ATK700 & 750. I got one of each for "the forest," as my friend calls my unused accumulation of instruments I buy out of curiosity when I see deals. :rollno:

There's a Bass Gear review of the Koa version of the ATK750 (which is the same instrument as the one at which you're looking, but with a different stupid 5-ply decorative top laminate). Coincidentally, they gave it the same cumulative rating I did, about 3 out of 5. Dead average.

It's just more Cor-Tek product, same as 99% of all new Korean or Indonesian instruments, irrespective of what name's on the headstock. [shrug]

It's a very big and very heavy bass, most being +/- 11Lbs. It has a fat neck and is made of pretty random-grade wood.

Aside from the oppressive weight, other cons include typically sloppy Cor-Tek electronics. If they work, fine, but there's no passive backup on this bass and there were several complaints here of DOA or quickly-failing active circuitry. The boards are cheaper SMT adaptations of the earlier through-board Ibanez circuits, which means that they are harder to troubleshoot or repair if they do go bad.

For the most part, these are nicely finished and well-aligned, and the circuitry has a wide range of tone variations with the added J-style pickup.

11. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    Still lovin' both of mine, Bongolation! ;)

Although, the modder in me has been seriously toying with the idea of modifying the 700...I haven't decided for sure and the only reason to do it would be, well there is no real reason :eyebrow:

:D

12. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    That's purdy!

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, there is. I call it "scab-picking," the destructive inability to leave well enough alone or not fix the unbroken.

Just flip the thing in original condition at a profit and get something more suitable that you don't have the urge to destroy.

My many decades of buying and selling gear (often professionally) have taught me three big rules:

1. Never modify an original instrument.

2: Never modify an original instrument.

3: Never modify an original instrument.

Scab-pickers should buy a used pre-trashed instrument and parts at scrap value (which is all a knowledgeable buyer will pay for a user-modified instrument) and rock out with their secret vice. ;) Hey, you won't lose much money and destroy the integrity of an otherwise unoffending original axe.

14. Uh. no.

Why not modify something you already have to make it fit your needs? Last time I checked bass playing had nothing to do with resale value, as much as it did with finding your tone and making it work for you.

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If you have to modify it, you got the wrong bass.

QED.
    I think that's largely about the first being a harsh dose of reality and the second being constant grounds for incessant, utterly subjective self-delusion and pointless fiddling around.

You'll note that I've been dismissive of the perpetual-motion tone-quest threads, too. :rolleyes:

Few of these people are ever satisfied for long. I've watched them for decades and made lots of money off them. ;)

Anyway, as I said, get an already devalued modded/butchered axe for nothing and rock out. I'd like to do this myself, if I could make it make sense.

Of course, it's your time, axe and money and you can laboriously shovel them into any bonfire you want. Just don't expect me to congratulate you on your judgment.

But even if you're of independent means and money and time are no concerns to you, I still think modding and tone-questing and other scab-picking are bad ideas because they are what I call "seductive process," peripheral concerns that distract you from doing the real stuff you need to do (and probably don't want to) to produce a successful outcome as a musician. The vast majority of musicians I have known in my life have subsumed their would-be careers in seductive process and never reach any outcome at all, successful or otherwise. I could write a book on this, seriously. :(