1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone have one of these?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kipp Harrington, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Rock Care Rock N Ruler. Was going to purchase one for doing setups. Just wanted some opinions. Thanks!

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I do under a different branding... really comes in handy!

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah but rarely use it. I stick with my trusty pocket rule(s) and feeler gauges.

Riis

4. Thanks Spidey2112. Can you enlighten me as to where you purchased it and what brand?

The Rock N Ruler looks like it's only priced in English pounds.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. Is it a Stew Mac?

Spidey2112 likes this.
  6. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    When you use a ruler for measuring things like string height, errors will be introduced by parallax, shadows etc. I much prefer to use feeler gauges or dial indicators wherever possible. So for relief I check with a dial mounted on a straightedge. Alternatively I use feeler gauges and a straightedge. For string height I always measure using feeler gauges. It's so much easier - I don't have to squint or get my closeup glasses, I can get accurate measurements using feel and sound. I can't think of a single adjustment I would make using a ruler.

fhm555, Qlanq and Warhawk like this.
  7. Great point! Can I get the feeler gauges at any auto parts store? Thanks for the suggestion.

8. Also, what would be the range of gauges I would need?

9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I got if off of Amazon... Stewie is too expensive, for the same thing...

s-l300.

10. Thanks man!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  11. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Sure. And a standard set can measure everything from 1.5 thousandth of an inch ((.038mm) to .34" (8.63mm) - thats more than you would ever use on a bass. And at Princess Auto such a set will cost you $6 or $7.

I have made myself a set of feelers that range from .030" to .125" in .005" increments. In addition I made a set of feeler from .005 to .025" in .001" increments. They are the ones in a specially fitted drawer at my setup bench. I also have several "rulers" in standard inch measurements, inches by tenths, and metric. Don't remember when I last used any of the rulers in setup work - at least more than a decade ago.

Oh, and while on the topic, I don't really use the term "ruler" for a measuring device. A ruler is someone who governs. A "rule" is what is used to measure sizes. And the Golden Rule is the rule you use to measure your actions when you act as a ruler.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  12. Cool... thanks for the info. Autozone here in the states.

13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My gramps the pattern maker used to get on to me about calling his scales rulers.

charlie monroe likes this.
  14. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    +1

My brother, a Master Tool and Die Maker, insists he does not own a ruler. :D

fhm555 likes this.
  15. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

And it’s SQUIER, not Squire. :roflmao:

fhm555 likes this.
  16. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I use a scale. images.duckduckgo.com.ghnn.