Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have or know about fretless Bongos?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Palomorado, May 1, 2005.

1. well i played a Bongo this weekend and loved it.

seriously going to be getting one soon but i really need to get an active fretless so i wanted to get some revies and pics of Fretless Bongos.

if you got one show it off and give some reviews!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Our own bassmonkee has a fretless. Do a search for fretless bongo, and you should find some info on it.

I'm sure he will see this thread before long and jump in with more info.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Thanks for the PM, Jeff. I totally missed this thread!

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    As Jeff said, I do have a fretless Bongo. Without further ado, here's Moby:

[​IMG]

It is, without a doubt, one of the most versatile fretless basses I've played. I have piezos on both of my Bongos, and I highly recommend them for the fretless.

The combination of the single coil, humbucker, piezos and 4 band EQ give me a pretty much limitless set of tonal options. If you want thick fat bottom, it's there. If you want nasally, squawky mid-burp, it's there. I can do the Jaco thing, and I can do a bloomy warm tone just as easily.

I've currently got it set up with Sadowsky flats, and I don't see changing them out anytime soon. It sounded good with rounds, but I simply prefer the feel and sound of the Sadowsky flats for this bass.

It plays just as easily as my fretted Bongo, and is a touch lighter, too. No complaints about the B string at all.

If you are looking for an active fretless, and already like the fretted Bongos, then I don't think you can go wrong with a fretless Bongo. I don't think there is a better fretless in the price range.

I know that Bass Central has a couple in stock, but they are all lined, and I also think they are all 5 string depending on what you are looking for. Bass NW had a 4 string lined fretless in stock, too, but I don't know if it's still there, or not.