1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone have personal experience ordering from Musikraft LLC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McThud, Jun 21, 2016.

1. McThud

McThud Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Arlington, VA
    In looking to build a bass, the only company I could find online who could make a neck closest to the specs I wanted was Musikraft. I was trying to find something that was as close to the neck used on the Pino Palladino signature model, as I cannot ever see me spending that kind of money on a bass, amazing as it is. I checked Warmoth, Mighty Mite, and other likely suspects, but none seemed to have necks available with the features I wanted. I think I'd be able to have them build the neck for about $300 or so. But before pulling the trigger, I'd like to see if anyone else had experience, good, bad, or indifferent, with Musikraft. Thanks in advance for any information you might offer!

2. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

no experience whatsoever: but thanks for enlightening me: always like to be aware of options.

McThud likes this.
  3. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    I have purchased bass bodies and a tele body from Musikraft. I love their bodies; I've just never needed to buy a neck, or else I'd probably buy it from them.

I like the fact that I can send them exact specs that I am looking for, and they have hit it every time.

In my experience, I really like their work.

McThud likes this.
  4. McThud

McThud Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Arlington, VA
    PCR, thank you. That's some really solid information that helps me out a lot. From perusing the site, it seems just as you experienced, but it's nice to hear it directly from a fellow TB'er. So when you've purchased these bodies, where have you looked to buy necks? Aside from standard lineup of Warmoth/Mighty Mite/All Parts, are there any other resources you'd recommend looking at before pulling the trigger?

5. Radio

Radio Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    McThud likes this.
  6. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    In the Great Southwest
    Try Best Guitar Parts. They have a ton of options. The custom order form online only has some of them, so you should call.

Radio and McThud like this.
  7. McThud

McThud Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks! I'll add it to my list.

8. McThud

McThud Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks - got it on my short list to call.

9. A LOT of boutique builders use Musikraft. They make good stuff.

10. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    I ordered a neck from them in the mid 90's, based on a classified ad they were running in Bass Player mag. Based on that experience, I would not go to them again. I had a 6 string ibanez with a maple neck that I wanted to replace with a 3-piece wenge & maple neck with a wenge fingerboard. MK said sure no problem, but they were only making direct replacements Fender at the time, so i needed to send in the original neck for measurements.
    Long story short, i was highly disappointed with what i received. Instead of a 3 piece maple & wenge neck, it was solid wenge, no holes were drilled for tuners or neck bolts as ordered, and no nut was installed, as ordered. They also kept the original neck; they were supposed to return it. I was told that since it was a custom order that involved a lot of extra cnc reprogramming, it was ineligible for refund or exchange.

I decided to just go with it anyway. Took it into a shop almost 2 hours away to have it finished off & everything drilled out. The piece of wenge they used was so dried out that the entire neck cracked & splintered as soon as the drill went in.

11. That USAGC is seriously janky. With a site as painful to navigate as that I'm surprised they stay in business. Maybe they're having problems, I'll try again later.....maybe.

12. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008

The necks that I've used have all been purchased here in the classifieds. Fortunately, I've been able to find Am Fender necks.

I have emailed their sales guy and asked for neck holes, ferrule and bridge holes, and they have been fine with them.

If I did buy a neck neck to order, I would go with a Musikraft.

McThud likes this.