1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone have pics of thumb-rests installed on a Squier Bronco and/or Ibanez ATK?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Pretty straight-forward question...

I got an inexpensive giftcard to guitar center from work ($20), and since i'm okay with strings, i decided to buy two thumb rests.

I know... floating-thumb technique rules all, but i find a thumbrest comfortable... so with that out of the way id REALLY like some pictures of either of these basses with one installed, to get ideas of placement.

On the Pickguard?
    On The body?
    Slanted, or straight... relative to the strings?

Thanks! :D

2. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    If I recall correctly, johnk has had thumbrests produced for basses he makes/services. You might want to contact him, or at least pull up some past threads that have images of some of his basses with various thumbrest placements.

3. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Here's my Bronco. I made my own thumb rest
    out of birds eye maple to match the neck.

I like to pluck close to the bridge. Others might
    like it where I drew the red one,

12-21-1.

You can put it on temporarily with double sided
    sticky tape to see if you like there.

Tabdog

4. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    Mounted with automotive double-stick tape:

100_0145.

5. That's pretty much exactly where i was thinking.

I'll try the 2x sided automotive tape!.. i never thought of that. That'd let me try different positions. At least, i THINK it would. How permanent would it be? If i didn't like the placement is it an easy take off/put back on situation?

6. Try the double-sided tape thing and try different locations and see which one fits you. At the end of the day, whatever location seems to be the one that fits you the most trumps any other location. I tried the tape thing as well and once i found a location that suited me well, I didn't bother to replace the tape with screws. It seems to be strong enough so I left it as is. didn't want to mar the surface with holes.

7. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    Yeah, that's what I did. It holds fine, but isn't too hard to get off and doesn't damage the finish.
    Eventually, I used a dremel and cut the screws short and crazy glued them into the thumbrest to make it look screwed in.
    I sold that ATK700 and took the thumbrest off before I sold it. No damage to the finish at all (after IIRC close to 2 years of being mounted).