Anyone have/played an Ampeg PR-410HLF? Need reviews please!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowEbandit, Mar 8, 2005.

1. LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    Hi all, I can get a pretty smokin deal on one of these cabs, but need some input on how they are/sound......Mids, no mids, lows etc...
    If you guys say they don't cut through the mix, I'll keep looking!!
  2. I really wanted to get an HLF around xmas time but when it came down to it, I couldn't pop for it. I fell in love with the cab. I use an svt 3 as well and it works really well with it. The tone overall I thought was really good, but what really stood out was the low end. Man that thing bumps amazingly. Its an incredible cab, and if you can get a real good deal like you say I'd say do it with no hesitation, but that's all IMO. Only drawback is the weight, it was something like 95 lbs I think. But if you can get past that, you're golden.
  3. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I played one of those when they first came out. I was using a MM Sterling and and SVT2 head at the time. The sound was unbeleivable. Insanely loud and cut through the mix, the walls, the surrounding town, etc. The only reason I got rid of it was it's size and weight. I was purchasing a smaller car at the time and could no longer fit it in my new ride. I probably would have gotten rid of it anyway just because of the weight. Too rediculous to lug around. I recently played a Schroeder 410 and would higly reccomend that to ANYONE. It weighs a hell of a lot less, is smaller, and is as loud as an Ampeg 810 IMO. But if Ampeg is your thing, you will love the PR-410HLF!
  4. Although my back hates it, I love the sound of it too much to part with it. I just get someone to help if I have to go up or down stairs. It is more hi-fi sounding to me than other Ampeg cabs, but still has that Ampeg oomph to it. It definitely cuts through the mix, if you don't mind lugging it around, I would definitely get it.
  5. I use one at Church- I'm often asked to turn down. It seems to take everything that the SVT-3pro can give. Definitely a back-breaker, though.
  6. bass4820

Jan 3, 2005
    yes, actually the ampeg pr410-hlf weights 124 pounds, which is insane for a 410. but it was built for being its own road case, and protecting the speakers...
    yes it is a big cab, but it stills fits in my '93 camry, just slide the front passenger seat up, tilt the cab on its side, and heave it in.

doable, but not for someone with a bad back, it's just to bulky to manage 124pounds of cab....
  7. I used to have one. I ran a Stingray5 into M-Pulse 600 into it. Had tons of low end. Sounded HUGE!!!
  8. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Probably the best cab ever to come out of an Ampeg factory IMO.
  9. LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    Thanks for the replies! Well it looks like you guys sold me on it, I was looking at eden cabs for a while but even though I've never heard an ampeg cab from what everyone is telling me, it sounds awesome and I'm getting it for a smokin deal, used of course but in really good shape.
    Has anyone ever done an A/B with this cab and an Eden 410XLT?
    How does this cab compare to the Edens?