Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have some tips for teaching my 1st grader the Spalding reading method?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dryheatbob, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Thanks ahead of time.

My li'l one started first grade this past week and my job is reading and spelling homework. The school is using the Spalding method, and I'm looking for tips and suggestions from you bass playing parents that have gone down this road before me.

What I'm looking for are things to make learning the phonograms fun that also will burn it into her brain.

So far my gameplan is to review a few of the phonograms with similar sounds (er, ir, or, ur are the ones this week)and then have her read simple sentences using them in words.
    In the sentences I'm using, I'm highlighting the phonograms in a different color to reinforce that the two letters make one sound.

So what have you used with your kids that worked well?

Thanks!

Bob

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Hey, Bob. One thing you can do is use manipulatives such as magnetic letters or index cards with the letters written on them. It's good to work with phonogram "families" one at a time to begin with. For instance, working with the "at" phonogram. Arrange the letters in alphabetical order and then ask her to make the word "at." Then ask her from there to make various words in that phonogram family (rat, fat, cat, hat and so on). As she manipulates those words she learn how the vowels and consonants work together and it will become second nature. This is a great exercise to do regularly with the various phonograms. You can also start challenging her to think of new words to make herself after you've told her which words to make.

After you've done that exercise then ask her to write sentences using the words that she made or to make up a story using those words.

It's great that you're taking an active role in reinforcing her education. That in itself will count for a lot.

brad cook

3. Thanks, Brad. I'm gonna add that to my bag of tricks.

Any one else out there with some suggestions? I figure the more ways we have to go over the material, the less likely she'll get bored.

I dug out a dry erase board and markers so we can write the words/phonograms together, and along with Brads' suggestion and the sentences for her to read, it looks like we should be able to keep it interesting.

Another thing we started doing last night is to emphasize the phonograms in the words of the stories we read at bedtime.

Hopefully the combination of things works.

As far as taking an active role in my childs' education(and life, for that matter)... isn't that what parents are for? ;)

That may explain why the majority of my bass playing happens at 5 AM, on the living room couch, in front of a audience of two: my dog and cat. Of course they don't bitch too much about my play list. They know I'll throw their furry arses out if they do. :bassist:

Bob

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh yeah, I meant to mention that too. There are a lot of childrens' books that emphasize phonograms.

Yeah, too bad that many, many public school parents don't realize that's what they're for.

brad cook