Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have sound clips of P/J settings?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funkyaurora, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Funkyaurora

Funkyaurora

Aug 21, 2002
    Norway
    I was wondering if anyone have recorded different blend settings of P/J pickups (preferably passive)?
    If so I would love to hear them.
    I`m very interested in this combination, but where I live there are not many of these around so it`s difficult to try out for myself.:)

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Which brand ?
    That will be much more important than the config I think.

3. okay, I'll offer up my Warmoth P bass;
    EMG select P, and Kent Armstrong double J humbucker with coil splitting at the bridge.

first up, as posted in the other thread
    P soloed-
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=909120

P + J (bridge coil soloed) both full on;
    (chordal line from Steve Lawson's "blue sticks")

4. Funkyaurora

Funkyaurora

Aug 21, 2002
    Norway
    Thanks for responing Jazz Ad and TMTR.
    Assuming that the bridge single coil sounds as a Jazz Bass bridge p.u. I`m mainly intrested in what way the P-humbucker fattens up the sound in various blend settings, and if the P-humbucker can give a traditional P-bass sound when soloed.
    Seems to me that your EMG gives a familiar P-bass sound when soloed TMTR :)

Anyone else have sound clips?

5. bear in mind that my bass has a quite complicated pickup selector arrangement- a 5-way rotary switch which isolates the P pickup completely when soloed (position 1), and isolates the JJ when that's soloed (position 5).
    one vol, one tone, which were in bypass mode.

in the blend positions 2 and 4, 500k preset pots are switched in.
    check out "MTR" on the Mock Turtle Regulator page link below for a recording using position 2; P p/up on full, JJ (run in series mode in this case) on 75%.

6. kirby

kirby

Feb 24, 2003
    Where did you get Kent A. doubleJ pickup, i have never seen it?
    Probably a stupid question but where can i get free internet space for putting my mp3s and stuff???

7. I got it from Rainbow Products - the UK distributors for WD products and Kent Armstrong pickups.
    it's not perfect by any means (the output is a bit low, and I had to file down the E and G string polepieces to get even levels). I cut a piece of black plastic to stick over it to give a flush look and feel to match the P p/up;

[​IMG]

I might try another pickup one day- I know Rio Grande do the Powerbucker, and also Fender have a couple of double-J's.