1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone have sound clips of P/J settings?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funkyaurora, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Funkyaurora

Funkyaurora

Aug 21, 2002
    Norway
    I was wondering if anyone have recorded different blend settings of P/J pickups (preferably passive)?
    If so I would love to hear them.
    I`m very interested in this combination, but where I live there are not many of these around so it`s difficult to try out for myself.:)

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Which brand ?
    That will be much more important than the config I think.

3. okay, I'll offer up my Warmoth P bass;
    EMG select P, and Kent Armstrong double J humbucker with coil splitting at the bridge.

first up, as posted in the other thread
    P soloed-
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=909120

P + J (bridge coil soloed) both full on;
    (chordal line from Steve Lawson's "blue sticks")

4. Funkyaurora

Funkyaurora

Aug 21, 2002
    Norway
    Thanks for responing Jazz Ad and TMTR.
    Assuming that the bridge single coil sounds as a Jazz Bass bridge p.u. I`m mainly intrested in what way the P-humbucker fattens up the sound in various blend settings, and if the P-humbucker can give a traditional P-bass sound when soloed.
    Seems to me that your EMG gives a familiar P-bass sound when soloed TMTR :)

Anyone else have sound clips?

5. bear in mind that my bass has a quite complicated pickup selector arrangement- a 5-way rotary switch which isolates the P pickup completely when soloed (position 1), and isolates the JJ when that's soloed (position 5).
    one vol, one tone, which were in bypass mode.

in the blend positions 2 and 4, 500k preset pots are switched in.
    check out "MTR" on the Mock Turtle Regulator page link below for a recording using position 2; P p/up on full, JJ (run in series mode in this case) on 75%.

6. kirby

kirby

Feb 24, 2003
    Where did you get Kent A. doubleJ pickup, i have never seen it?
    Probably a stupid question but where can i get free internet space for putting my mp3s and stuff???

7. I got it from Rainbow Products - the UK distributors for WD products and Kent Armstrong pickups.
    it's not perfect by any means (the output is a bit low, and I had to file down the E and G string polepieces to get even levels). I cut a piece of black plastic to stick over it to give a flush look and feel to match the P p/up;

[​IMG]

I might try another pickup one day- I know Rio Grande do the Powerbucker, and also Fender have a couple of double-J's.