Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone have suggestions on a good strap?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by punkbassist, Jan 9, 2002.

1. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    For my recently bought PRE-EB musicman stingray, I had played a few gigs on it lately.I have realized that this bass is heavy. The cheap Ernie Ball Nylon strap I also bought in addition isn't going to help the situation either. I was thinking about buying a levy's leather strap.( i have it on my MTD kingston 5) Should I because im not sure if it will make my back hurt even worse. Any suggestions? Anyone have a levy's on their stingrays?

2. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Try to find a wide....real flexible leather strap. Not to thick...but it depends what you like. If you can find a Franklin Strap. They sell them at GC. They are comfortable.

3. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    I have one called "Comfort Strapp". Very comfortable. Try it.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Where does your back hurt? A wider strap will make life much better for your shoulder / neck area, but won't lighten the load on your back of course.

Putting the weight over both shoulders would help, BUT I absolutely cannot recommend the Slider Strap. I bought one and the thing is pretty useless unless you hang the bass down around your knees. Even then, some of my basses (the neck-heavier ones) don't hang right at all and just stick out at a weird (useless) angle.

I've got a nice wide leather strap on my heavy bass and it is great.

5. SoggyTrousers

SoggyTrousers Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    Wayne, New Jersey
    A leather one would be nice..imagine a leather checkered one! i dont care if you dont like ska.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    And I don't care if you do like ska.:p :D

Just kidding.;)

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    ooops, almost forgot. this thread doesn't belong here.

8. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Ha thats funny...same thing happen to me, except my MM wasn't pre-eb...it was pre 6 bolt though...I had the cheap nylon EB strap and then I finally bought a Levy strap...much better plus making sure the bass is at waist level relieves some of the weight from your back...With my Rick I can do fusion geek, jacked up to your chin style and its not to heavy...I like fusion geek style

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Comfort Strapp or wide, supple leather.

10. I'd go with Ralph Marlin's. They are plenty wide (almost 3 inches) and very comfortable. They also have pretty cool graphics on them.

Rock on
    Eric

11. I like the Zon strap--very well-padded, and if you're the kind of person who likes to wear your strap low, it's plenty long. I also have lots of Levy's leather and suede ones, and the Planet Waves suede one is nice too. I tried to buy a strap for each bass, but it gets a little expensive.

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    The only strap that I can recommend is the planet waves bass strap. Its 3" wide and has a sliding pad inside it. The thing also gets extremely long--I can get my bass down to my ankles and I am 5'11"

Although, I have heard very good things about the Comfort Strapp :)

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I hate those straps with sliding pads!

funky, you try to buy one for every bass? Do you keep the ones for the basses that you sell? If you do, you muyst have at least 250 straps by now!:p

14. Haha...I use the Schaller locks on all of my basses. When I used to sell basses, I would leave the Schaller buttons on there, but for awhile I've been having to reclaim them in order to use them on the new basses. I'm still a few buttons short though. I should take a straps photo.

15. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    i only have to on my kingston. my friend ended up saying to me the thickest levy's strap they amke is the best. he says it makes his life a hell lot easier. He has a conklin 7 string which is very heavy, and a ibanez musician another very heavy bass. so im gonna go with his suggestion

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is the one - I tried loads when I had a back injury and this was the only one that actually helped and enabled me to play.

I have had one for several years and bought a new one recently - it was getting a bit smelly - too many sweaty gigs!! ;)

But they are much more comfortable than anything else - I have have had wide leather ones - no use at all for avoiding back pain; but with the "Comfort Strapp" I have been able to play long gigs with heavy basses!

17. i think i'm going to have to get a new strap, probably the comfort strapp.

my overwater is starting to get a litlle heavy for me, i'm 6'7" with strong shoulders, but after an afternoons practicing my collar bone, and shoulder blade+ all relevant muscles ache :0

get a strap that works, don't skimp on it

we spend enough on amps and basses, don't we :)

stu

18. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
  19. I actually have a think Planet Waves strap like 3 inches wide with thick padding...highly recomended